We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg and Innsbruck or Vienna?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Salzburg and Innsbruck or Vienna?

My partner and I are both 24 year old university students from Australia travelling through Europe for ~6 weeks from December through to late January. We are both very relaxed in the way we travel, we like to find our own way around places we visit and don't intend to go to multiple museums. We like good food and drinking but we don't intend to be partying every night. What I would particularly like to see in Austria is the beautiful scenery (especially some mountains!) but I also want to be in a city so we don't feel stranded and can also experience some culture. I know there are also some amazing old palaces/castles and architecture in each of the cities which sound great to visit.

Anyway, hopefully that's enough about us to help you with any advice you give!

We're travelling from Munich through Austria and into Italy (Bologna). We intend to stay in Austria for 4-5 nights in mid-January 2014.

What I was thinking was two alternate itineraries:

3 nights in Salzburg and 2 nights in Innsbruck, or

4 nights in Vienna (and an overnight train to Bologna)

Are we better off just basing ourselves in Vienna or would we have a better experience splitting our time between Salzburg and Innsbruck? Will the time of year (January) be a problem at all/should effect our decision?

I would love to get some advice! Thank you :)

Hannah

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Salzburg and Innsbruck or Vienna?

Hi Hannah,

Well, I really love Vienna, but you are maily interesting in the beautiful scenery, espeically the mountains, then go to Salzburg and Innnsbruck. Maybe also some trips to the surrouding country side like Salzkammergut lake area, Zell am See, Seefeld, Hall in Tirol, Alpbach.

Kind regards_Chrissy

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salzburg and Innsbruck or Vienna?

It looks like we'll be going with Salzburg and Innsbruck! :) Thanks for your reply Chrissy!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salzburg and Innsbruck or Vienna?

Please don't miss out on Vienna---its terrific. Why not do 2 nights Salzburg taking a bus to St Wolfgang and then 2 night in Vienna. I love both places and it seems a pity to miss out on either.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,780 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salzburg and Innsbruck or Vienna?

When you arrive in Austria, it is winter season then. Winters can be very cold but also mild, impossible to predict. So if you travel at this time, you should prepare for snowy mountains as well as temperatures below the freezing point what limits the available outdoor activities. So Austria's beauty is then widely covered by snow!

5. Re: Salzburg and Innsbruck or Vienna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2014, 06:20