We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sparschiene Austria tickets for May 2014

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
71 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Sparschiene Austria tickets for May 2014

Hi, I'm looking to book Sparschiene Austria tickets for May 2014 for myself and my wife.

I checked on the OEBB website, they say that Sparschiene tickets are available 6 months in advance.

That means today on the 10th of Nov 2013, I should get tickets up to 9th of May 2014.

I searched on the website today - on the 10th of Nov 2013 - and Sparschiene tickets are only available up to 30th of April 2014. The first 10 days of May 2014 are showing no Sparschiene availability on the Vienna - Salzburg sector.

I find it hard to believe that all Sparschiene for 9th of May 2014 will be sold out the day the booking opens on 10th of Nov 2013!

My questions therefore are:

1) Does the Sparschiene quota actually open exactly 6 months in advance?

2) Is May a peak season to the extent that OEBB will keep a smaller Sparschiene quota OR not keep a Sparschiene quota at all for May?

3) Is it possible that the Sparschiene quota is actually open and gets full that quickly? Is it possible that the Sparschiene quota for 9th of May 2014 has gotten full within 12-15 hours of its opening on the midnight of 10th Nov 2013? Is there that kind of rush for Sparschiene tickets?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sparschiene Austria tickets for May 2014

I think it maybe because ÖBB have released the timetable for 2014 early but it's not 100% complete yet.

Loads of warning message on their web site.

Be patient they will appear.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,794 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sparschiene Austria tickets for May 2014

It is far too early. Most tickets are available from 90 days in advance, and some routes have better and sometimes cheaper options - from Vienna to Salzburg for example you can use the Westbahn service which costs €25 and you buy it on the train - this gives you extra flexibility if your plans change.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
71 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sparschiene Austria tickets for May 2014

Thanks folks. I take your point that since the timetables havent yet been firmed up, the Sparschiene fares are not yet announced because they are specific to a particular train service. Also, I checked out the westbahn website, that seems to be a pretty good option.

I'll keep checking the OEBB websites for Sparschiene fares.

I had a further question for you.

How reliable in terms of on-time performance is OBB?

On my last day, I'm planning to take a train from Innsbruck to Vienna and then transfer to Vienna International Airport for my VIE -> IST -> BOM flight. I'm (as of now) not opting for an INN -> VIE flight because we're on a shoestring budget. The OBB trains with Sparschiene fares are much cheaper than the flight.

There's about a 4-hour buffer between the Vienna Arrival time of the OBB train and the VIE -> IST flight.

Is this okay, or is it a bad idea?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,227 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sparschiene Austria tickets for May 2014

That's a perfectly adequate window. Trains are generally very reliable and punctual in Austria. A bit like Switzerland without the cuckoo clocks!

5. Re: Sparschiene Austria tickets for May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:17