We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bases to stay travelling from Vienna to Salzburg/Innsbruck

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
455 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Bases to stay travelling from Vienna to Salzburg/Innsbruck

Hello,

When we travelled Italy we based ourselves in one town (staying from 3 - 7 nights) and used this as a base to travel north/south/east/west to visit areas i.e. Sienna in Tuscany, Montefalco in Umbria staying on farms.

I was wondering which areas would be suitable for this in Austria? (not necessarily farm stays). We will have a vehicle from Vienna and travelling along the Danube towards Salzburg and then Innsbruck before heading into lower Germany.

We love the countryside and experiencing small towns with lots of character. My thoughts to start with were Krems, Grein, Melk, Linz? Not sure? However we will only have about 12 days to do this.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanking you, Chris

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bases to stay travelling from Vienna to Salzburg/Innsbruck

How long do you plan to stay in Vienna? Do you have to fit it in into these 12 days?

Driving along the Danube I would also recommend you to stop in Dürnstein. If you would like to stay overnight between Vienna and Linz, I would recommend you to do so between Krems and Melk (for example Dürnstein or Spitz). This would allow you to taste the renowned wines of the Wachau region.

Using Linz as a base, you could also make a side trip to Steyr, which is a small, historic town with a lot of character. After Linz you could visit the Salzkammergut (superb scenery and nice, charming towns). I recommend Gmunden at lake Traunsee, Bad Ischl and Hallstatt. After this, you can spend a few days in Salzburg (you can also visit the Salzkammergut region with Salzburg as a base, if you prefer to stay overnight in one place for longer - or choose a farm or other facility directly in the Salzkammergut as your base to explore the different lakes and towns in the region).

After, you could head on to Zell am See and spend a few days there enjoying the mountains.

On your way to Innsbruck you could make further stops in Kufstein and Hall.

Visiting all of these places (especially i f you want to fit in Vienna) will be too much in 12 days, but I just wanted to give you some ideas.

If you are interested in staying on farms, check out the following Website: www.farmholidays.com/bundesverband/home.html…

Enjoy your trip!

Best regards, Christina

Edited: 26 November 2013, 10:33
Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
455 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bases to stay travelling from Vienna to Salzburg/Innsbruck

Wow, what great service!

In between looking after grandchildren (!) I have been doing quite a bit of reading on possible route to take.

Vienna is not part of the 12 days.

I had not written down all of the towns and areas you mentioned above, however I came up with a rough list.

After Vienna ....

Krems

Durnstein

Bad Ischl

Hallstatt

Salzburg

Kitzbuhel

Innsbruck

Otz

Solden or St Anton

St Christoph

However if any of the above I sourced out are not what we are actually after, I will be happy to dismiss.

By the way, after leaving Vienna, we will be on the road from 9th June.

Over the next few days, I will use Michelin on line to gauge distances including places you have suggested and some of the above.

You hit the spot when you mentioned stunning scenery and charming towns. This is exactly what we love!

Thanking you, Chris

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
455 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bases to stay travelling from Vienna to Salzburg/Innsbruck

Hello,

The more I look at possible itineries, the more I change my mind!!

Some help would be much appreciated please.

I was originally going to rent a car once we leave Vienna, however now thinking that maybe catch a train to Linz. We dislike picking up a rental in a big city!

Maybe use Linz as a base for 4 nights -

Day 1 - get settled and familiarise ourselves with Linz

Day 2 - drive to Krems, Melk and Durnstein (checked Michelin, very few hours of actual driving - although we will be back tracking from Vienna)

Day 3 - drive to Mauthausen and Steyr (round trip)

Day 4 - spend in Linz

Day 5 - Leave Linz driving to Gmunden to Bad Ischel. Stay Bad Ischel

Day 6 - Use Bad Ischel as a base to visit the Slzkammergut region

or for day 5, 6 and 7 base ourselves in Salzburg and doing day trips in the car? We dislike city traffic, so would not know where to base ourselves in Salzburg.Day

Day 8 - Drive to Zell am See (stay the night)

Day 9 - Drop vehicle at Zell am See and train to Innsbruck

Day 10 and Day 11 Insbruck

Is this doable or am I right off track?

We are slow travellers (in that we hate spending the whole day driving). We love to see the countryside and the lovely cultural towns. We are 60 (plus a few years!), energetic and fit.

Eagerly hoping for some interest from TA's!!

Thank you, Chris

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
455 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bases to stay travelling from Vienna to Salzburg/Innsbruck

Oops, should have mentioned that we prefer back roads rather than toll roads (able to see so much more of the country).

5. Re: Bases to stay travelling from Vienna to Salzburg/Innsbruck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 05:16