We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Neiligenblut (Grossglockner) towards Mestre

Tel Aviv, Israel
6 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Neiligenblut (Grossglockner) towards Mestre

Hello

I'm planning family vacation in Aug 2014, will be driving from Munich (airport) through Austrian Alps towards Mestre for Venice. We will stay overnight at Heiligenblut enjoying the famous Grossglocker apline road, then the next day will be heading to Mestre.

Need an advise of road planning...

We will be 5 persons, (3 kids of ages 5 to 12), so no very long continuous runs can be considered (neither desired).

For the first part, I to think of Zell am See lake as an intermediate stop towards Grossglockner (approx. 2-2.5 hours of drive from Munich airport), then after some rest will continue to Heiligenblut.

Now, what do you suggest for the part of Heiligenblut-Mestre ? Are there any prominent landmarks to stop over or pass by to see ? (mostly nature) What roads are worth to hit ?

It appears there is something like 4 hours of continuous drive to Mestre, which means to be done by two runs of 2 hours each with an intermediate stop somewhere in the middle. Where do you suggest to stop ?

Also, I'd be glad to see a suggesttions to stop over for a good family meal perhaps @ Zell am See and en-route to Mestre...

Thanks a lot

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Neiligenblut (Grossglockner) towards Mestre

Munich to Zell am See and then over mountain to Heiligenblut is a long drive. If you can stay in Zell am See area one night there is a lot to see - Krimml waterfalls and you can go to glacier in Kaprun with cable car.

From Heiligenblut you can stop in Klagenfurt (check Minimundus park for kids) or in Velden next to the Woerthersee lake. From there I would take motorway to Mestre. You will pass many nice places with car where you can stop and have a meal outside.

Tel Aviv, Israel
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Neiligenblut (Grossglockner) towards Mestre

Thanks a lot

We're expected to land in Munich airport at approx. 9 in the morning, I guess will be ready to drive away (rented car from airport) at approx. 11:00-12:00. According to Michelin web routing there is around 2.5 hours to drive to Zell am See, lets say, 3 - 3.5 hours which means arriving there at 15:00-16:00. Perhaps that is indeed good idea to stay overnight somewhere in the area and pay a visit to the places you mentioned without rush.

From there to Heiligenblut apparently something like a hour and half or two hours of no rush drive through a famous road, surely we would stop to enjoy a Grossglokner views but that seem to cover the first half of the day. So perhaps there is better not to stop overnight at Heiligenblut but instead to continue towards Klagenfurt ? So that the day after Zell am See, teh first half will be spent for Grossglokner, the second half day will bring us to Klagenfurt for overnight stay, so that in the morning perhaps to pay a visit to the Minimundus and then to head for Mestre (so that arriving to Mestre evening)....

Does that sound ?

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Neiligenblut (Grossglockner) towards Mestre

I think that sounds better to start the mountain drive fresh in the morning - you should make stops on the Grossglockner road and enjoy the views and walk to the ice part on top (Pasterze). Krimml waterfalls are really nice or a boat trip on Zeller lake to close your 1st day.

Tel Aviv, Israel
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Neiligenblut (Grossglockner) towards Mestre

Yes, that sounds indeed worth to consider.

In fact I made a decision and altered the route so will stop for 4 nights in Zell am See area to explore around (from Hellstatt to Innsbruck, Krimml, Kaprun, etc...) then in the morning will head down through Grossglockner towards north Italy. I think such approach will allow more relaxed and calm family pace while allowing to explore the area.

Will be staying 3 nights in north Italy for Venice and Garda area (kids attractions) followed by taking back route up the map towards Black Forest. Now the question is building the route from north Italy to Black Forest (according to the map some 600-650km at least) with perhaps 2 nights stop in the middle...But I think I'll open separate thread here in forum seeking assistance in planning that part of the trip..

USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Neiligenblut (Grossglockner) towards Mestre

We so much enjoyed the Grossglockner drive that we took over 3 hours on the road. We made a lot of stops because of the great views. I can't imagine why, if your flight is on time, it would take you 3 hours to get away from the Munich airport. We took a little over one hour from landing to driving off in our rental car--but we had only carry-on suitcases. Heiligenblut is very scenic, too.

Tel Aviv, Israel
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Neiligenblut (Grossglockner) towards Mestre

Yeah, I realize that may take less time to get out to hit the road, but you know..3 kids...3 (hopefully not more) large suitcases...chances at least two of them may be hungry right out of the plane...need to stop for that in the airport...go figure...:-). In fact landing at 9 AM I booked the car from 11:00 hoping two hours would be enough...

USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Neiligenblut (Grossglockner) towards Mestre

Ah, yes. It's been a while since we had kids travelling with us. Everything has pluses and minuses.

Tel Aviv, Israel
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Neiligenblut (Grossglockner) towards Mestre

Indeed..:-)

9. Re: Driving from Neiligenblut (Grossglockner) towards Mestre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2014, 06:18