We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-3 days in Austria - where to go?

Michigan
Level Contributor
495 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
2-3 days in Austria - where to go?

My husband and I would like to visit Austria as part of a trip to Europe in early April. We will be arriving in Austria via train from Frankfurt. To begin our planning:

1. Where in Austria should we concentrate our visit? We love the outdoors, lakes, small quaint villages more than big cities. I've seen pictures of Hallstat (sp?) and it looks amazingly beautiful, but I'm a bit confused about how to get there - is there a train that gets us close and then we take the ferry over? Should we spend all our time in that area?

2. Any other suggestions for must-see or must-do places?

3. We will be leaving Austria after 2-3 days and heading to Switzerland so I'm not sure if that's something to consider as far as train travel, train stations and routes. (we hope to do most of our travel by train, but could rent a car if necessary).

We're just starting to plan so any input would be appreciated - thank you!

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-3 days in Austria - where to go?

You don't say "where" your train from Frankfurt ends. I'm guessing you are going to Salzburg.

So, make Salzburg your base for three nights and take a day trip to Bad Ischl and Hallstatt. That gets you some culture and tourist sights in Salzburg, and then you have a full day of seeing lakes and mountains.

You could take a nice bus to Bad Ischl which has a beautiful setting and some nice historical sights (Empress Sissy --- wife of Franz Ferdinand ---- spent her summers here). Then you can take either a bus or train to Hallstatt. If you go by train, sit on the right side leaving Bad Ischl. There is a small station for Hallstatt, and you simply walk down to the lake and take a small boat over to the town.

You can then take either the bus or train back to Salzburg (the train requires a change in Attnang-Puchheim, which is very simple).

It is a full day in the countryside, and then you have another day in Salzburg to mill around.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
24,828 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-3 days in Austria - where to go?

I would even consider making Bad ischl your base and visit the City of Salzburg as a day trip from there. On the day you continue to Switzerland you need to go to Salzburg again as you would have to catch the international train from there. But as the bus from Bad Ischl terminates at the main train station in Salzburg it would not be a nuisance at all.

If you actually consider staying in Bad Ischl (or any other town in that area), then you wouldn't have to go through Salzburg. There are direct ICE trains between Frankfurt and Linz (continuing to Vienna), from Linz you can easily reach Bad Ischl. Check train times here: www.oebb.at/en

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Linz
Linz
Upper Austria, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Michigan
Level Contributor
495 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-3 days in Austria - where to go?

At first I thought we would stay in Salzburg and take day trips to Hallstatt, but looking at the B&B's in Obertraun (near Hallstatt, right?), we're rethinking. Perhaps we should stay in Obertraun or Bad Ischl so we're closer to the small villages & countryside we want to explore, but still be able to take the train to Salzburg for a day trip. Love the reviews & photos of Haus Hepi - any recommendations for a quaint B&B in Bad Ischl?

Would you recommend Obertraun or Bad Ischl? (coming from Frankfurt to Austria) I'm assuming both of these are walking towns so a rental car wouldn't be necessary. And that we could sightsee by catching trains?

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-3 days in Austria - where to go?

Obertraun is a village. Very quiet. The other side of the lake from Hallstatt but not on the lakeside. Not much to do except walking. Bad Ischl is a very historic town set where three valleys meet surrounded by mountains. Beautiful buildings, plenty of things to do like the Kaiserville and thermal baths. Great transport links. Loads of places to eat like the famous Zauners. 1.5 hours to Salzburg on the bus.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 19:16
Mentioned in this post
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,182 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-3 days in Austria - where to go?

yep. I would stay in bad ischl, as it is easier to access various sights from there. obertraun is really at the end of a valley , remote from bad ischl. if in bi, there are easy connections to Salzburg and wolfgangsee by bus, or to hallstatt. in other words, you would be in the centre point to all the sights that you want to see.

the main problem is your date of travel. some of the attractions will possibly not be open, such as salt mines in hallstatt, ice caves in obertraun, cog railway in st wolfgang...etc

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Michigan
Level Contributor
495 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-3 days in Austria - where to go?

Sounds like Bad Ischl is where we will stay!

Now I need to start researching places to stay. Thinking of a B&B style place. Any good recommendations?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2-3 days in Austria - where to go?

What's your budget?

How many nights?

Arrival date?

I know some great Hotels.

Apartments with breakfast may be out of the equation as a lot have a minimum stay requirement.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2-3 days in Austria - where to go?

This one is directly opposite the railway station (1 minute walk). The Thermal baths are also across the road (Open to midnight) so bring your swimming costume.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g664937-d1394…

www.eurothermen.at/en-bad-ischl-index.htm

Michigan
Level Contributor
495 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2-3 days in Austria - where to go?

$150-175/night

April 4-6 (two nights, checking out the 6th)

Hotel Goldener Ochs looks lovely and gets good ratings on bookings.com (the other you mentioned that's across from the train station didn't have availability, but looks lovely as well)

Julie

10. Re: 2-3 days in Austria - where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:19