We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spurious info when requesting 2 BEDROOM apartment

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Spurious info when requesting 2 BEDROOM apartment

Totally fed up with looking for 2 BEDROOM apartments only to find many owners state, when you get into the details, there is a "lounge/bedroom" with bed settee as 2nd "bedroom"! This is not a 2 bedroom in which case and I have wasted so much time in this search. Not only for Austria I might add - and "pulling" a curtain or similar ilk accross a loung or main bedroom is not right either. Just wish that all websites would "ascertain" a correct description from owners on this. I have rented all over the world and you really need to check this out carefully. If I had kids or were "younger" it may not matter so much to "share" and be inconvenienced - but hey usually pay more bucks for 2 bedrooms anwyay - so to my way of thinking it is marginally fraudulant on description!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,921 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spurious info when requesting 2 BEDROOM apartment

Austria is a different country and standards etc are different. in Austria, they would call a 2 bedroom apt, a 3 ROOM! get it? THREE ROOMS....lounge and TWO bedrooms. you need to start looking for THREE room apartments.

but your comments are not very nice. if you feel so bitter about their way of describing apartments, should you really be thinking of visiting?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,094 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spurious info when requesting 2 BEDROOM apartment

In Puffcambridge's defence they said it was not just in Austria that they came across this. I have a lot of sympathy, but nakagoli's suggestion of looking for a three bedroom unit makes sense as this should mean at least two separate rooms.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spurious info when requesting 2 BEDROOM apartment

You have totally misconstrued my comments. I am not Austria or any counrty bashing, how on earth did you come to that conclusion! The objection I have is the "description" on websites - 2 Bedroom-and bedroom being the operative word, not just "rooms". It is time wasting to have to try to decipher some of the descriptions, that was my "whine" if you like, nothing at all to do with countries, Austria just happens to be where I am checking out at the moment.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spurious info when requesting 2 BEDROOM apartment

This has been my experience, too, when looking for an apartment with multiple separate bedrooms for a mixed adult party. Noooo, a sofabed in the living room is not a bedroom! You don't mention where you're planning to visit but if it's Vienna, I found some proper 2 & 3 br flats there when I was searching - send me a message if you'd like details.

The other option of course is to rent a couple of 1br flats in the same property - the owner might do you a good deal if you want to make a block booking. Also good cos then you get more than one bathroom - very rare for Austrian apartments to have more than one bathroom, even if it has 3 br.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spurious info when requesting 2 BEDROOM apartment

Roly -as it happens I am looking at Vienna, but for NY - gets booked up as I know having visited at that time in the past, hence early looking! And as we are a group of "seniors" 2 proper bedrooms a must. Thanks for advice on 1br -had not thought about that.

ireland
Level Contributor
287 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spurious info when requesting 2 BEDROOM apartment

I do agree that finding the right apartment is hard work no matter where you are visiting. I am a big fan of using the 'official website' for a given area that you intend to visit. We are planning our 3rd holiday to Austria for next new years and have decided on Obergurgl and their webpage is great, with alot of the entries having actual floor plans for the apartments so that there can be no confusion.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spurious info when requesting 2 BEDROOM apartment

Puff, here are some suggestions for 2br+ apartments in Vienna

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p2027391 (I stayed in the owner's other 1br apartment last summer; it was lovely and very well-equipped, and a good price for the location. Not directly in the centre but good connections with trams and U1 ubahn line)

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p514829 (very central)

booking.com/hotel/at/vip-city-center-apartme… (ditto but quite expensive)

www.netland.at/wien/amberger-city-center/

ferienwohnungenwien.com/wohnungsdetail.php… (Mariahilf)

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p789058 (further away from the centre near Schoenbrunn palace, but the apartment looks nice)

And for 1br+1br

http://www.netland.at/wien/oesterreicher/

I've stayed in both of these apartments and they are very nice; the location in Bauernmarkt just round the corner from Stephansplatz is ideal, especially with the massive new Merkur supermarkt on Hoher Markt.

Or you might try an apartment-hotel such as

booking.com/hotel/at/singerstrasse-21-25.en.…

Hope that helps!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spurious info when requesting 2 BEDROOM apartment

Thnaks to both - SpookIreland & Roly - nice to get positive feedback and Norman C for coming to my defence. I do use official websites - as a number mentioned in your response Roly - but will try out those I have not. And apartment floor plans are a huge help - tho not all have that of course. Anyway onwards with more looking with digits crossed!

9. Re: Spurious info when requesting 2 BEDROOM apartment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 07:17