We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Left stranded by Avis at Innsbruck Airport

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Left stranded by Avis at Innsbruck Airport

Having hired a car at Xmas via Avis at Innsbruck airport I thought I would use them again for my second ski trip of the season. I booked the car online via the Avis website where I have a login etc.

The flight was delayed by about 3 and a half hours and I figured the decent thing to do was to call the Innsbruck airport office and let them know. They took the call said ah yes we have your booking here, no problem.

The flight arrived before the Avis office closing time of 10:30pm and I gave all of my licence credit card etc to the guy at the Avis desk. After a phone call to a colleague he informed me that he was not allowed to rent me a car. When asked why he said he didn't know just that my address and licence came up as a hire risk. I told him that I rented several times before from that office the latest being a few weeks ago. I asked him to call it up on the system to see if there was a problem, knowing there was not and he agreed he could see it and there was no issue but that he still could not rent me a car. I asked could we use my wife's licence and he said not.. By this time the coaches from the ski companies had departed resulting in a 150 euro taxi to St Anton.

Avis if you are not going to rent someone a car tell them that when they book it not when they arrive at their destination late at night and especially not without an explanation as to why.

I now have to get further taxis to go and collect skis etc from another town incurring further costs.

See you in the small claims court .....

Edited: 09 February 2014, 00:59
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,429 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Left stranded by Avis at Innsbruck Airport

Many car hire companies get slated on here. I have every sympathy with you predicament and wish you every success in court, but it is "nice" to see that the big boys like Avis get it wrong too!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
23,865 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Left stranded by Avis at Innsbruck Airport

It would be interesting to know why they denied you to pick up the rental car. Do you sue AVIS in the UK?

3. Re: Left stranded by Avis at Innsbruck Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 06:17