We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Danube Bike Trip

Cleveland, OH
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Danube Bike Trip

Where can I store my luggage for 6 days while on a bike trip down the Danube from Linz to Vienna, aprox.?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Danube Bike Trip

Where are you getting your bike from? If you are getting it in Vienna then taking the train to Linz maybe you can leave your luggage with your hotel, if you book a night with them when you return to Vienna. Either that or you can do what we did...brought our panniers from the USA with us and so took our luggage with us when we biked.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 16:00
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Danube Bike Trip

It would assist advice to know where you arrive in Austria before beginning this trip.

Vienna Airport has a left luggage facility - charges by the piece per day. I believe Linz airport has a facility also.

Vienna train stations like the Westbahnhof and in Linz have luggage lockers but these are coin operated and for just 24 hours- no help to you.

If staying in Vienna prior to your trip- perhaps your hotel would store for you as Operettaman suggests.

Cleveland, OH
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Danube Bike Trip

I will be living out of a roll on bag for a month and would be coming from Germany to Austria. The bike tour companies charge more than my budget per night, so thought I'd try to make my own reservations. I would rent a bike in Passau or Linz aprox. and return it at the end by train - I will have a Eurailpass. I think I could live out of my backpack and/or paniers for 5-6 days. I may leave the trail before Vienna ( I have been there before). I don't think my 68 year old knees can do the whole 200 mile route so would probably cut one end or the other off. Maybe the room in Passau/Linz would store my bag. I'm flying into Oslo and out of Milan - so no Austrian airports. Thanks for the suggestions.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Danube Bike Trip

Are you riding from Passau or Linz to Wien? Either way I would only go as far as Krems and not bike all the way to Vienna (not too exciting after Krems) so Passau-Krems would be perfect for you. I HIGHLY recommend the Esterbauer Bikeline maps for this journey:

www.esterbauer.com/db_liste_int.php…

We took our panniers in a duffel and so were able to pack the duffel and our clothes into the panniers...worked great. Your knees will be okay as the route is very flat, not much uphill. The main thing you may battle is the wind. It is a great ride that is very easy to do and the Austrians are super biker friendly. If you need any rec's on where to stay I am happy to help and my friend Vertical has a vast wealth of knowledge for this area.

Cleveland, OH
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Danube Bike Trip

Great! You've helped me narrow down the trail to a manageble distance. Yes, I would love hotel recommendations. I don't mind sharing a bathroom and try to stay in low budget accomodations and not too far off the trail - especially in Linz, which is huge.

Cleveland, OH
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Danube Bike Trip

Also, I have to have a roll-on for the plane and train stations because I can't lift all my stuff - so still can't use paniers only - besides I don't have any and have no extra room in my suitcase. I simply can't pack as light as some people - especially guys, Also, I don't want to check any bags on my flights - fear of lost luggage.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Danube Bike Trip

What I would do is review the trail and decide how far you will ride on your first day, etc and then investigate the particular villages you wish to stay in. For example, we did not stay in Linz, but went further south to Enns which is smaller and stayed at the Zum Goldenen Schiff: www.hotel-brunner.at/index.php?id=22&L=1 Many Zimmer Frei along the way which could fit your budget. What time of year do you go? If it is summer the lodging may be more difficult without reserving. We did this in May and had no problems getting a place to stay. If you can't live without the roller, then you should see if the start hotel you are going to stay in will keep you bag if you reserve your return night there. I would see if your bike rental company will rent you panniers or you can do the backpack thing.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Danube Bike Trip

You can also check this link:

tiscover.com/at/…danube-lower-austria

9. Re: Danube Bike Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 07:18