We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York City, New...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic

I will be in the Salzkammengut area for 2-3 days this fall. Thoughts about Bad Ischl vs Hallstat vs St Gillgen as a base to see the area? Also open to other suggestions? Thank you.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
22,035 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salzkammergut

any of these three would be good. but I would tend to base myself somewhere in the middle. so if that is the area you want, then bad ischl would be ideal. however if you want a lakeside location (both hallstatt and st gilgen are lakeside) then st gilgen would be a good base. 40 mins from Salzburg, 20 mins from bad ischl and 45 mins from hallstatt.

are you driving or using public transport? what do you want to see and do?

another place you could consider, is gosau, a more rural location and reasonably close to hallstatt.

2. Re: Salzkammergut

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 06:16