We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car or using the trains?

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car or using the trains?

My husband and I are visiting Austria & Czech Republic the end of May - leaving Vienna (from a tour group) going to Hallstatt two nights, Cesky Krumlov two nights and Prague three nights and then spend our last night at an airport near the Vienna airport.

Our question is - should we rent a car to get around or use the train system? We like to see the beautiful countryside and enjoy the scenery, but we don't want to get stressed by trying to find our way around driving a rental car.

Any thoughts/comments we will appreciate!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car or using the trains?

It is 'do-able' by train but I think you would see more and be able to stop and appreciate whatever takes your fancy if you hire a car. I have done this journey myself with the exception of the trip up to Prague from Czesky Krumlov. The drive up from Linz to Czesky Krumlov is lovely. Just bring or hire a sat nav and there is no problem route finding although the journey is very straightforward

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,481 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car or using the trains?

There are a couple of problems with hiring a car. The first is that not every car hire company will allow you to take their vehicles over the border into the Czech Republic. The second problem is that you will have no use whatsoever for the car whilst you're in Prague so you may be paying for a vehicle that you are not using.

USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car or using the trains?

It depends on what you want to do on the journey (and whether your rental car company will let you take a care into the Czech Republic. Some will, some won't).

If all you want to do is get from city to city and you don't care about what is in between, than the train makes the most sense without question.

If, on the other hand, you want to make stops along the way, whether planned or ad hoc, then a car is a must.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car or using the trains?

We used Europecar through Autoeurope and had no problems travelling to CK, or Slovenia.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,481 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car or using the trains?

What type of car did you have? Sometimes hire companies only restrict the more desirable makes as these are a bigger target for theft.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car or using the trains?

It's usually a VW golf or something similar

USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car or using the trains?

Yes, they normally restrict the more expensive models--ones I couldn't afford to rent anyway.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,971 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car or using the trains?

Not only will you be paying for the rental of the car whilst in Prague, you will be paying through the nose for parking the thing - a car is an expensive liability in Prague.

As an alternative to Český Krumlov, at the end of May there is a big international fireworks festival in Brno which you might want to check out http://www.ignisbrunensis.cz/?setLanguage=eng - easy and cheap to get to from Vienna (€8 by bus) and the same to Prague.

9. Re: Renting a car or using the trains?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 06:28