We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austria with a 4 year old child

Bangalore
3 posts
Save Topic
Austria with a 4 year old child

Hi - we are planning to travel to Austria with our 4 year old in May this year - planning to visit Vienna and Salzburg.

I understand there would be a lot of walking involved - plan to carry a stroller for our baby as she would not be able to walk the whole day - want to know if there are any areas we cannot cover with a stroller (where the approach is mainly steps etc)...which areas should we keep on our list and which ones to let go.

Need inputs ! Thanks.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
940 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austria with a 4 year old child

What areas are on your list?

Vienna
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Austria with a 4 year old child

In Vienna you should not have any Trouble visiting the most important sights with a stoller. In the historic City Center, there are some cobble Stone streets, in which the use of a stroller might be difficult. but if you avoid them while having the stroller with you, you should be fine.

In addtion in the parks such as Schönbrunn and Belvedere you have gravel paths, but for a a stroller in good condition it should not be a Problem.

In Salzburg visiting the Mönchsberg in the city center is one of the main activities. This might be difficult with Walking and pushing a stroller. However, you can use the Elevator to get up the hill. Also the ascent to the fortress Hohensalzburg is a steep gravel road, but also in this case you have the Option to Bypass the ascent by using the funicular railway.

Best regards, Christina

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austria with a 4 year old child

I'm sure you will get lots of helpful hints for a variety of areas in Austria .Personally I don't think there is much to really sustain the interests of a 4 year old in either city for long although the horse drawn carriage rides always go down well.The Prater in Vienna is very good too.Why not save a longer visit to the cities until he/she is older and visit the countryside?

I can only comment on the area I know best which is the Salzkammergut close to Salzburg.. I have done many walks here with my 3 grandchildren from the days when they were in backpaks!! This is where children are very well catered for.

If you are keen to take in some high routes using gondolas to get to the top of the mountain then do some easy routes along the tops I can highly recommend the Dachstein area. The Krippenstein at Obertraun has free all terrain buggies at the top station. Walks are any length you choose and all abilities. dachstein-salzkammergut.com/en/dachstein/. The same facility is available in the same area at the top of the Gosaukamm gondola at Gosau …salzkammergut.at/en/sigths-attractions/aust…

At Russbach in the summer months you can ride the gondola then take a lovely little train across the top pastures to a hut .There is much for the children to see and do here www.russbach.info/cable-car-hornbahn.html.

Walking around all the lakes is very esay with a stroller and you can add in the trips on the boat,

Remember that many streets in villages and in Salzburg and Vienna will have cobbled areas so not very stroller friendly. There are lifts for the underground trains in Vienna.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Austria with a 4 year old child

I forgot to mention that the Schönbrunn palace in Vienna has a lovely park and the zoo but I would say the gravel paths make using anything other than a 3 wheeled all terrain stroller extremely hard work!!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
21,601 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Austria with a 4 year old child

walking around Salzburg itself is not arduous, and the old town is fairly compact. a 4 yr old should be able to manage without a stroller. our 3 yo grandson can do it with ease. apart from that, Austria is quite child friendly so your 4 yo should find many things to interest him/her. you don't say if it is male or female, but there are such things as science museum in Salzburg, which is child friendly, and there is a puppet museum. further afield, in the salzkammergut area, there are a number of animal parks etc. and you will find a lot of restaurants have play areas for kids. and the zoo in Salzburg has wagons for the weary.

6. Re: Austria with a 4 year old child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 05:18