We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay in the summer

Ardara, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Best area to stay in the summer

My husband and I would like to visit Austria in september. We will have our one year old child with us too. We would like to stay near a lake/hills in the countryside but have easy access to the town too. We enjoy walking, cycling, sightseeing and swimming. A family friendly place would also be a requirement. We are travelling from dublin airport so don't mind staying in Vienna on the first and last day to cut down travelling time with a young child.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay in the summer

Consider booking a flight using Munich , Innsbruck or Salzburg if looking fpr a country vacation.

Many more choices from these cities with less travel time.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay in the summer

Sorry the following did not make it on the above- late night

www.salzkammergut.at

good general place to search - many places to fit your criteria.

Achensee

www.achensee.at

largest lake in Tirol.

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay in the summer

Very nice region for families near Salzburg (as well from Munich) would be the Salzburger Seenland:

www.salzburger-seenland.at

However this Region is not very hilly.

the Region of Abtenau near Salzburg is also very familyfriendly and directly in the mountains. it does not have a lake. however thermal baths nearby, leisure pools and 'beaches', www.abtenau-info.at

I agree with Achensee near Innsbruck as well. great area for families!

Kind regards_chrissy

Ardara, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay in the summer

Thanks for the replies I'll check those areas out at least I have a starting point now. I didn't know where to begin! Our son will be 18 months by September

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay in the summer

If you fly in to Munich then the train is very easy to Salzburg and the whole of the Salzkammergut area is easily accessible by bus and train. If you would like a lakeside then St Gilgen would fit the bill. Bad Ischl perfect for all public transport links with a wonderful outdoor pool as well as indoor spa. You will find everywhere very child friendly.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay in the summer

I have to personally recommend Seefeld, which I visited last summer for a week with my two small kids. Loads to do - giant swimming facility, lake, walks, great playgrounds, nestled in the mountains, etc. Have a look at the kinderhotel there (a hotel for families with small kids); I didn't stay there, but it looked great:

http://www.alpenpark-seefeld.com

Ardara, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay in the summer

I can't seem to find the kinderhotel. seefled looks lovely. alpenpark looks fab too

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,089 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to stay in the summer

It's the one Cherries gave the link to. Alpenpark is the Kinderhotel (= family hotel)

Edited: 13 March 2014, 15:48
9. Re: Best area to stay in the summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 05:27