We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in check in baggage

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Food in check in baggage

Hi,

I will be flying to Austria from India. I would like to carry some rotis ( indian bread) and ready to eat mixes for my stay . Is that allowed ? From Austria i will be travelling to Swiz and Paris too , by euro rail

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,042 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food in check in baggage

you would need to check import regs for this. but why bring food with you? far better to shop and eat local fresh food.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,119 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food in check in baggage

I would frankly not any bring food into the country in order to be on the safe side. Some products are less awkward than others, in the end it is probably better to keep your stuff at home. Don't think I'm rude, but why do you need to bring food to Europe? Do you think that you do not get decent food in Europe?

By the way, as mentioned many many times here on the forum, there is no train operator named Eurorail. Eurail is a re-seller of train tickets and passes, trains are run by the respective railway companies of the countries you visit. In Austria trains are mainly run by Austrian Railways ÖBB (www.oebb.at/en), between Vienna and Salzburg there also is WESTBAHN (www.westbahn.at), a private company competing with ÖBB.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food in check in baggage

You need to check the regulations.

Normally the following are banned if from outside the EU.

All meat and meat products

All milk and dairy products

Potatoes

Also there will be weight restrictions on some other products.

To be honest I would not bring anything with you.

uk
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food in check in baggage

I agree that there is no need to bring anything but, if we are honest, we all do it. I can't exist without Yorkshire Tea in the mornings so I bring those. I think we all of us bring the occasional English 'treat' for friends. As long as they are dried mixes and don't weigh too much I see nothing wrong in it. I do bring some curry spices with me as I find them hard to get in our area of Austria.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,042 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food in check in baggage

ah yes...but we are all members of the eu, and even then, we are prohibited from bringing fresh meat and dairy products around. the op is entering the eu from india and unfortunately they are not allowed to bring in fresh food. by the way, I didn't know that they grew tea in yorkshire?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Ghana, Vienna
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food in check in baggage

I also can't properly function until I've had my morning Yorkshire Tea. Apologies for the diversion, but had to say it.

uk
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food in check in baggage

Ha ha Richard!!!

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food in check in baggage

Packaged bread should be a problem and if you bring just packaged spicies

but still best check the regulations.

If you are vegetarian , Austria has now many more options for Vegeatrian restaurants and food than before.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Food in check in baggage

I am a pure vegetarian , thats why i am apprehensive about the availability of vegetarian food there

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,575 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food in check in baggage

Check out this site for a list of vegetarian restaurants. Follow the links to the websites to see menus/prices.

www.happycow.net/m/europe/austria/vienna/