We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg???

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Salzburg???

Hi - We will be flying into Vienna and are planning to spend two days there before heading to Innsbruck for 3 days. Do you think we should also spend a day in Salzburg? I am thinking that Vienna will provide the historical buildings and museums and Innsbruck will be the relaxing alpine break. Does Salzburg offer anything that is a must see?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,939 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salzburg???

well, I would drop Innsbruck and spend 3 days in Salzburg and surrounds instead. the sights in Salzburg and salzkammergut area are far more enchanting than Innsbruck. that is not to say that Innsbruck is unattractive, but that Salzburg beats it hands down.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salzburg???

Two days in Vienna is NOT enough. Make it three.

From your post, it sounds as if you have another three days, so spend those in Salzburg, with one day going to Bad Ischl and elsewhere in Salzkammergut.

In short, skip Innsbruck, altogether. Salzkammergut will give you the mountains and lakes you seem to be looking for.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salzburg???

Hi,

I agree, no need to go all the way to Innsbruck for a relaxing "Alpine break". Salzburg is beautiful and compact enough to see a lot in a day. Salzburg itself is a "must see" in my opinion. You could also base in the nearby Berchtesgaden area for your "alpine break" and visit Salzburg as a day trip. They're close enough together... about 30 min. by car. Berchtesgaden, the Konigsee (beautiful lake with an alpine backdrop), the Jennerbahn cable car trip, etc. will give the alone break you're looking for.

We have many pic's from our 5 stays (17 or 18 nights total) in this area at:

worldisround.com/articles/380134/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/362557/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/355557/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/355548/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/338872/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/324607/index.html

Paul

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salzburg???

I agree. 3 days Vienna then Salzkammergut and visit Salzburg.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salzburg???

Thanks guys...guess the jury is out that we should drop Innsbruck and stay in Salzburg. My husband for one is very happy because he really did want to spend time in Salzburg :)

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,930 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salzburg???

Salzburg is one of Austria's touristic hot spots, so ignoring it on your way from Vienna to Innsbruck would be a huge mistake! What would you have done after Innsbruck? What's your overall itinerary?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salzburg???

Mikey_Vienna - we are headed to lake Garda-verona-Venice from Austria. I read some posts on Tripadvisor and other sites where some people said that one could pick between Salzburg and Vienna.

Does our next destination change your or other contributers' recommendation?

Perth
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salzburg???

Hi I hope I am posting this in the right place:

we are driving from Vienna to Salzburg on the 6th May (how exciting!). We have booked 2 nights in Bad Ischl and 2 nights in Salzburg. Our rough itinerary is:

- May 6th morning drive from Vienna towards Bad Iscl and stop at Steyr for lunch (if we can find a place where we can kind of watch the car - we are told to be careful with car break-ins in Europe) after lunch drive straight to Bad Iscl (would love to see Gmunden on the way but hey, there is no time to see everything)

- after checking in at our hotel located 10 mins from Bad Ischl in the direction of St Wolfgang, we either go to St Wolfgang & St Gilgen or explore Bad Iscl (please advice)

- May 7th hoping to start early for an hour walk around Gosau lake then drive to Obertraun (Krippenstein cable car) for the ice cave and maybe the five finger look out. Next to Halstatt for lunch and stay there until our Saltmine tour at 4pm. Drive back to Bad Iscl for dinner, will appreciate some suggestions for a restaurant/cafe please.

- May 8th: drive to Salzburg after breakfast and check in at our hotel. Our alternate plan is to explore St Wolfgang on the way (If we could not do it on the 6th). The rest of the day will be spent in Salzburg (we have contacted a private guide but wandering if we do need one to show us the historical side of Salzburg, pretty sure that we can do our own Sound of Music tour).

- Today we will celebrate a birthday so any suggestion for a special place for lunch will be great (we have a dinner concert in the evening).

- May 9th: drive to Berchtesgaden (lake Konigsee) then to Ramsau, Wimbach in particular as it is only 30 mins away and it looks spectacular in picture. The afternoon will be spent in Salzburg again.

- May 10th: leaving Salzburg by train for Linz to catch a 1:30pm bus to Prague

Could someone please advice if this itinerary is too enthusiastic. We love to see the mountain, but the culinary and cultural aspect (with a little bit of shopping thrown in) is of interest to us too. If there is not enough time should we forego Ramsau altogether or forget about the five fingers as both are mountain views? Then while in Salzburg should we forget about Berchtesgaden and Ramsau altogether or just see lake Konigsee but not Wimbach or vise versa. We want to make sure that we do not pact too much in and as a result do not have enough time in Salzburg.

Thank you so much for reading this long posting and your comments will be greatly appreciated (this will be our first time in Austria)

USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salzburg???

May85--Towns and small cities in Austria are pretty safe; even the big cities are fine. Of course, break-ins can happen anywhere, but I think they would be no more likely, and probably even less likely, in a place like Steyr than in Australia. Crime rates of all types are much lower in Austria than in Australia. So you can try to find a place that would let you watch the car--peace of mind is great. But if you don't find such a place, I wouldn't hesitate to stop someplace where you can't see it all the time.

I think your schedule is fine--I'd spend more time in Salzburg (at least 2 full days), but you probably don't have the same interests that I have.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salzburg???

Plan for a few hours for Konigsee. First, the boat is SLOW (electric), lines can get long and the scenery is beautiful. Berchtsgaden and Konigsee are maybe 10 min. apart at most. Berchtesgaden to Ramsau is a 10 minutes drive. Wimbach is between Berchtesgaden and Ramsau, closer to Ramsau. Having stayed many times in Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden, it's a small village with a pretty church in an extremely picturesque setting. Don't need much time for this at all.

worldisround.com/articles/324607/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/338872/index.html

We're from the NY metro area and fever have felt unsafe or worried about our rental car while in Austria during our 9 trips so far. Always take normal precautions as at home, but I wouldn't be concerned about parking the car.

Salzburg's old town is pretty compact and easy to walk to the sights. A day should do. We've visited many times though and never get tired of just "being" in Salzburg.

Paul