We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Europe - size comparison to US cars

Boston...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car rental in Europe - size comparison to US cars

Hello,

I will be doing a road trip in Europe with my parents and their small dogs. We will probably have three suitcases and some bags with us as well. I am looking to rent a car with automatic transmission.

I found that there are some smaller cars that would be relatively cheap to rent. However, I am from the US and am not familiar with European models. Would any of these cars be comfortable for a long trip, and does anyone have personal experience with these cars:

1. VW Polo (I'm pretty sure this one is very small)

2. Opel Astra Sedan

3. Toyota Auris Hybrid (station wagon)

I am also thinking of just renting a bigger car like Opel Zafira, VW Passat, or VW Touran, but these cars twice as expensive to rent.

Any help would be appreciated

Pedal Power Bike and Segway
Segway Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Highline179
Sightseeing Tours
Instant Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,920 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Europe - size comparison to US cars

If you refer to the Toyota Auris Touring that is the one I'd go for.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Europe - size comparison to US cars

the vw polo is a small car and would be unsuitable. the auris touing is a little bigger, and being an estate, will have a little more boot space. the touran would have more room.

however, bearing in mind your luggage and the two dogs (are the allowed entry?), I think that you would be better going for a medium size estate car, even if it is more expensive, as it will give you more comfort on the autobahns

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,699 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Europe - size comparison to US cars

Automatic comes as a premium and is less fuel-efficient. I doubt whether there is a Polo automatically, but as mentioned above there is no way you would all fit in one of those!

A diesel might be best in terms of fuel efficiency - don't forget that petrel is very reissue reissue in Europe.

You will also need an IDP and tolls are payable in many countries, sometimes you need to buy these on or before the border.

Also post in the road trips forum.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Europe - size comparison to US cars

on reflection, I would warn you that just because a car rental site shows a particular car, that does not mean that you would get that specific car. it will always say "or similar".

where are you picking up the car? if in Austria, it will come with a vignette sticker, allowing use on Austrian autobahns. if you hire outside Austria, you will be required to purchase this vignette (8.5€ for 10 days), obtainable at border.

also , as you say you are touring Europe, just beware that many rental companies have problems with cz, hungary, slovenia and even, sometimes, Italy. a lot has to do with insurance, and/or grade of car. so double check before booking. a helpful agent in the us, is GEMUT, give your requirements to them, and they seem to be able to fix you up.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Europe - size comparison to US cars

The Zafira and Touran have 2 extra fold down seats so can take 5 plus 2 children which is why they come at such a premium. Any family/medium size 4 door car should be OK. Most search engines say how many people/doors and suitcases a car carries. As nakogoli says---ask the booking agent

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,699 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Europe - size comparison to US cars

My predictive text was going crazy above!

I meant to say '...Polo automatic ...' and '... petrol is very expensive in Europe nowadays ...' :)

USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in Europe - size comparison to US cars

Actually many automatic transmission cars these days are as efficient or even more efficient than the equivalent model manual transmission car.

And many people who drive manual transmission cars are so bad at picking proper shift points that they lose any theoretical gas mileage advantage that their manual car is supposed to have.

8. Re: Car rental in Europe - size comparison to US cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 07:15