We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Week Trip with Teens Near Austria

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
93 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
A Week Trip with Teens Near Austria

We need to be in Vienna at the end of July for a week. We then want to visit another country either within train distance or a short flight from Vienna with our teens for another week. Our teens love the outdoors. They want to be hiking in the mountains or near a lake. A quaint town is great too. But, after spending a week in Vienna, they want a week in the country. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
843 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Week Trip with Teens Near Austria

Does it have to be another country? Plenty of options in Austria, for example Mayrhofen/the Ziller Valley. Easy to get to, train direct from Vienna to Jenbach then change to the Ziller valley railway up the valley. There is also Kaprun/Zell am See or somewhere in the Salzkammergut.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
93 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Week Trip with Teens Near Austria

Dear Dowhill_bex,

Thank you so much for your reply. Those look like great options. I thought of another country would be nice to explore another culture.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Week Trip with Teens Near Austria

You could try somewhere like Czech Republic---the area around Cesky Krumlov is great for walking and river rafting although I agree with previous reply---just explore more of Austria---very different from Vienna

Edited: 26 April 2014, 23:46
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,681 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Week Trip with Teens Near Austria

Well, Austria is a country with mountains, while its neighboring countries in the North/Northeast/East close to Vienna are rather flat! Only the "High Tatra" in Slovakia/Poland comes to my mind and would fulfill your criteria. I'd think of going there, in the South you could consider Slovenia. Farther away would be the Italian Lake District, you could get there by flying to Milan. Switzerland and Souther Bavaria would also be an option.

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Week Trip with Teens Near Austria

If you want quaint towns, mountains and lakes Austria normally has that to offer in a big way. Depends what you want to spend to fly a family to Switzerland or North Italy. I would check out the cost and effort.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,697 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Week Trip with Teens Near Austria

I would suggest a train or short flight to Salzburg, and then locate yourself in the salzkammergut area, where there are numerous lakes, mountains and sports.

you could also go to lake bled in Slovenia, another nice area.

7. Re: A Week Trip with Teens Near Austria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 06:15