We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

28 Day Europe Trip Germany/Austira/Italy/France/Switzerland

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Topic
28 Day Europe Trip Germany/Austira/Italy/France/Switzerland

HI Hello Everyone My Fiancee and I are planning a Wedding to Europe between June 24th 2014 and July 22nd 2014.We would be flying into Munich and returning from Zurich. I'm kind of struggling on planning where to stay. Here is a break down.

* The Flights have already been booked.

* We will be traveling to Munich and departing from Zurich.

Now here is where i need help. I want to stay in Munich on the 25th and 26th of July. I also want to do a day trip to Nuremberg on the 26th to visit the WW2 sites. Will 2 nights in Munich ( since I'm taking a day trip to Nuremberg ) be enough or should i stay the 27th of June in Munich as well ?.

From June 25th - June 30th i have 6 nights total. since i am arriving at 9:30 to Munich.

I was originally thinking i would stay 25th and 26th in Munich. Then i would go down to Hallstatt and stay 27th and 28th and spend 29th and 30th in Salzburg.

I really want to stay 2 nights in Hallstatt and 2 nights in Salzburg. But if 2 nights in Munich are not enough do you guys recommend i do 3 nights in Munich 3 nights in Salzburg and do a day trip to Hallstatt ?

My Breakdown is looking like this so far.

1. 25,26 of June in Munich (2 nights)

2. 27,28 of June in Hallstatt (2 nights)

3. 29,30 of June in Salzburg (2 nights)

4. 1-5 of July in Venice (5 nights) - Need 5 nights here because of the wedding

5. 6-8 of July in Positano (3 nights)

6. 9-12 of July in Rome (4 nights)

7. 13-15 of July in Nice (3 nights)

8. 16-18 of July in Paris (3 nights)

9. 19-21 of July in Zurich (3 nights) - can't adjust these 3 days either since its non refundable

I'm flying from Rome to Nice. I'm also flying from Venice to Naples to reach Positano.

Any advice would be appreciated. Let me know if this looks good or if i should tweak a few things and take a few places out or modify dates if I'm over extending my self. Thank You !

Edited: 22 May 2014, 21:37
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,355 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 28 Day Europe Trip Germany/Austira/Italy/France/Switzerland

hi. yes, as regards salzburg, better to stay 3 nights there and do a hallstatt trip as a day trip. however, i would suggest that you stay in a beautiful area just outside salzburg. somewhere in the salzkammergut area. fuschl, st gilgen, st wolfgang or bad ischl. much more romantic!

are you using a car? if hiring in munich and leaving in zurich, there will be a hefty drop-off charge. also, when entering austria, you will require a vignette (purchased at border) for 8 .50€ fot 10 days. when you enter switzerland, you will require a vignette too, but they only issue annual ones for 35€ or so. also, some hire companies wont allow their cars into italy, but this is usually for prestige brands.

enjoy your big day

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 28 Day Europe Trip Germany/Austira/Italy/France/Switzerland

Thank you for the fast reply !

I'm taking trains most of the locations

From Munich to Nuremberg will be train

From Munich to Salzburg will be train

Salzburg to Venice will be train

Venice to Naples will be a flight then a train / bus to Positano

Naples to Rome will be train

Rome to Nice will be a flight

Nice to Paris will be either a train or flight haven't decided this yet

Paris to Zurich will be TGV that i already purchased from rail Europe.

how does this look so far ? would it be smarter and less expensive and faster if i rent a car for few of these locations instead ?

Thank you !

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 28 Day Europe Trip Germany/Austira/Italy/France/Switzerland

Also I've never been to Positano. Do you think its worth 3 nights or should i take Positano out and spend an extra night in Rome and 2 extra nights in Nice to have more time visiting Monaco and Cannes.

Thank you !

Edited: 23 May 2014, 03:34
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 28 Day Europe Trip Germany/Austira/Italy/France/Switzerland

3 Nights in Positano might be long.

You might also consider 3 nights in Sorrento, which is a bit larger, the view towards Vesuvius, and has better connections for a day trip (by train) to not-to-be-missed Pompeii. (And of course for the daytrip to Positano/Amalfi)

Edited: 23 May 2014, 09:33
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,780 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 28 Day Europe Trip Germany/Austira/Italy/France/Switzerland

DON'T USE RAIL EUROPE - IT IS A RIP-OFF!!

Only use the respective national rail companies if it is possible/necessary to buy in advance and save $$$

6. Re: 28 Day Europe Trip Germany/Austira/Italy/France/Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 05:16