We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neuschwanstein Castle - from Innsbruck?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Neuschwanstein Castle - from Innsbruck?

Hi, please help!

We are visiting Europe in early October and the one thing I don't want to miss is Neuschwanstein Castle. We are travelling from Florence to Venice., and then I have added two nights in Innsbruck before heading to Salzburg in order to visit the castle as it seems closer to Innsbruck.

Is it worth it to stay in Innsbruck just to go to the castle or is there a better way? We are only staying in Florence for one day in order to fit this all in, so if there is a better way I will add some more time in Florence.

As you can probably tell this is our first time to Europe!

Many thanks..

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle - from Innsbruck?

Welcome to trip planning for your first visit to Europe.

From Innsbruck it's a good 6 hour round trip on the trains. Easier to do it from Munich.

I personally don't think it's worth a 6 hour trip.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 10:34
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle - from Innsbruck?

Thank you for the response. My husband is prepared to hire a car and drive, would that be easily done from Innsbruck?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,308 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle - from Innsbruck?

Yep, it's about an hour and forty five minutes by car!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle - from Innsbruck?

But still it's a pity to shorten your stay in Florence to 1 day just for the Neuschwanstein Castle. You might be dissapointed. It's not an authentic medieval castle, it's extremely busy, and the visit only takes 1/2 hour. (there is not so much to see, and it has to be so quick because of the extreme number of touristic crowd, consisting mainly of Japanese, Chinese and Americans.

There are some many better sights in Central Europe....

Edited: 03 June 2014, 11:28
5. Re: Neuschwanstein Castle - from Innsbruck?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 06:16