We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels with single rooms in austria

skipton
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels with single rooms in austria

My husband and I are taking my 86 year old mother to Austria. Can anyone recommend Hotel with single rooms available half board in town centres. We would also like a organised day trip to Salzburg and any other trips suitable for mums limited mobility.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,267 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels with single rooms in austria

Hi Skippy. Your enquiry is a bit vague. Austria is a country with a big variety of landscapes as well as iconic cities. You need to be a bit more specific about what type of holiday, scenery, facilities you are looking for. How are you getting to Austria?

skipton
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels with single rooms in austria

Ok. Somewhere near Salzburg where there are lovely views and shops and cafés for mum to visit or at least where day trip to Salzburg is possible. I know Thomson do packages that include day trips but obviously mum can't do the ones involving walking ?we need to stay half board and be able to access a town easily.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,450 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels with single rooms in austria

from what you are saying, i think that you should look at st gilgen or st wolfgang. beautiful scenery...lakes, mountains, ferry, etc etc, and some great cafes!

you will find that most hotels will have one or two single rooms but they are usually in short supply. have a look at inghams and crystal brochures. these will give you an idea of which hotels have singles, but remember, the rooms offered to tour operators tend to be less salubrious than ones that you can book direct. try hotel kendler in centre of st gilgen.

there is a hourly bus (150) into salzburg...takes about 40 mins, from st gilgen. st wolfgang a little more complicated.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 12:37
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,267 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels with single rooms in austria

The area you need to look at is not my speciality so I'll let others like nakagoli advise you now that your requirements are a bit clearer. Sure you'll enjoy Austria wherever you finish up!

skipton
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels with single rooms in austria

Thanks, St. Gilgen does seem to fit the bill. I am now looking for hotels that offer half board there so we know what our costs will be. . Can you advise on restaurant prices and typical cost of beer and wine..?

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels with single rooms in austria

I suggest Bad Ischl. It is historic, scenic (two rivers, mountains), nice cafes and restaurants, and nice shops.

It is about one hour from Salzburg by a scenic bus ride.

…salzkammergut.at/en/startseite.html#oben

I have stayed at both Hotel Goldenes Schiff and Landhotel Hubertushof. Either one would be very nice for you.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,450 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels with single rooms in austria

as casablanca says, there is a lovely scenic drive to bad ischl.......scenic because it passes fuschlsee and wolfgangsee, in the most scenic part of austria! so if you really want beautiful lakeside scenery, it has to be somewhere on one of these two lakes

restaurant prices are very reasonable, and you can get a main course from 10€ up. just depends on the standard of the restaurant, but food is always good.

wines are also reasonable. a good austrian wine to get is the gruner veltliner (white) or blaufrankeisch (red). these are usually the house wines but of very good quality around 2.50 to 3.50 a glass.

sometimes i think that it is best to go b and b, as it allows you to try different restaurants, and you can get a better menu rather than the set menu which is usually a little light and possibly restricted

if you go to st gilgen, walk along the lake for 30 mins to hotel furberg. beautifully quiet location. an enormous salad with chicken will cost around 10€.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels with single rooms in austria

Personally found St Gilgen to be a bit of a tourist trap - full of day trippers and the only place in Austria I have noticed litter.

Suggest you look at the Inghams and Crystal brochures as they both list hotels with single rooms. These firms get block bookings on flights and it is usually cheaper than booking independently.

Mayrhofen, Seefeld and Kitzbuhel are all lively towns with plenty to do and see. However if you want to go to Salzburg then Kitzbuhel is nearest.

9. Re: Hotels with single rooms in austria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 05:16