We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No IDP - What are my options?

Perth, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
No IDP - What are my options?

I am currently doing a Euro Trip and am about Midway through it. However, I have misplaced my IDP. ( I have an Australian Drivers License)

The original plan was to hire a car from Germany and Drive to Salzburg . I have booked accomodation and have planned my trip with a car which I have prepaid for.

Is there ANY solution? I have called the car hire company and they said it isn't a problem in Germany but they aren't sure about Austria.

I know this sounds a little ridiculous but is there no recourse? or should I just take a chance?

It would be pretty disappointing if I had to cancel my entire trip to Austria.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
23,589 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No IDP - What are my options?

Take the chance! A cancellation of your trip would be way over the top....

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No IDP - What are my options?

Austrian Embassy in Canberra

bmeia.gv.at/en/…driving-and-toll.html

You risk a fine if stopped by the police in Austria.

Your choice is don't drive or take the risk. If you do risk it and use motorways make sure you have a Vignette.

Edited: 28 June 2014, 19:59
Perth, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: No IDP - What are my options?

Yes i will be definitely getting a vignette.

Yeah I was planning to take a risk. I tried doing a search on thr web but to no avail. AFAIK it all comes down to the officer if I actually do get stopped.

Hope I will be fine.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No IDP - What are my options?

For what it's worth, we done 11 trips so far with a rental car that included Austria and Germany. While I always have an IDP, I've never been asked for it, even at rental counters. I've also never been stopped by police. If it were me, I'd just go along with my trip and just be a bit more cautious driving.

Buy the Austrian Vignette before crossing into Austria.

Paul

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
21,594 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No IDP - What are my options?

you are far more likely to fall foul of the cops if you are caught speeding, away from autobahns. these are the ones who might ask for your licence. but as it is in english, you should have no problem

6. Re: No IDP - What are my options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 06:17