We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Innsbruck or St Moritz, or other location?

WI
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Innsbruck or St Moritz, or other location?

My wife and I will be on a trip to Europe in early October. We arrive in Milan and about 8 days later we leave from Prague. I expect we may spend a day or two in Milan and then head to Prague. I think we will spend 3 or 4 days in Prague. That leaves a couple days enroute. I have been thinking of travelling via train or bus. My thought has been to spend 2 nights in a prime alpine location. The two thoughts I have are St. Moritz or Innsbruck. What are the pros or cons of either location? Or is there a better location that I am missing? Cost is a consideration, leaning toward economical.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Innsbruck or St Moritz, or other location?

St. Moritz and economical together?

2 nights in a prime alpine location... There are many in Austria, from Innsbruck to the Zilertal to Zell am See. Have you considered the Italian Dolomites for 2 nights? The Val Gardena is about 1:30 south of Innsbruck and spectacualr.

www.val-Gardena.com

Paul

Edited: 01 July 2014, 19:11
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Innsbruck or St Moritz, or other location?

Ever been to Lake Como? It combines mountains with a southern feel. Check villages of Bellagio or Varenna.

More interesting than St.Moritz, which is very much focused on winter, and not a pretty village.

Innsbruck is a real city. Beautiful location, but rather low in altitude, so still nog really ''in the mountains''

From Milan you might also check Zermatt. Not in Austria, but Switzerland. But really deep in the mountains, and including the must-see Matterhorn!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
328 posts
1,018 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Innsbruck or St Moritz, or other location?

If it's between Innsbruck or St. Moritz, it's got to be Innsbruck. There is far more to do and you will not end up spending a fortune. Eating out and accommodation can be very expensive in Switzerland.

In Innsbruck there are lots of sights and attractions as well as various cable car trips to do. Its setting in the Inn valley surrounded by spectacular mountains cannot be rivalled by many other cities.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Innsbruck or St Moritz, or other location?

Stubai Valley near Innsbruck is stunning.

http://www.stubai.at/en/stubaital/die-region

WI
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Innsbruck or St Moritz, or other location?

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. It gives me something to research. Val Gardena looks interesting, I need to check on Lake Como, and Zell em Zee and a couple other locations. Innsbruck is a convenient option, but may not be quite rustic enough. We only have 2 days and nights, so only need enough to keep us busy for a couple days. I think we'd be interested in cable cars and lifts to peaks (scenic), short hikes, perhaps rafting or a boat trip. I also like some of the locations with various local transport packages.

6. Re: Innsbruck or St Moritz, or other location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 06:16