We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best season for Danube cruise

california
Level Contributor
420 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best season for Danube cruise

We are thinking about a seven day Danube Cruise (Nuremburg to Budapest), or possibly a 14 day cruise (Amsterdam to Budapest). We could do it anytime between May and August. When is the best weather for the touring experience? Do some seasons have higher risk of high or low water messing up the cruise? Any other advice?

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,389 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best season for Danube cruise

I would go in May as you avoid the peak season masses. Low water can happen in the summer if it is very dry.

california
Level Contributor
420 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best season for Danube cruise

Thanks

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best season for Danube cruise

May can still be pretty chilly when standing on deck. I'd therefore did the last one in July and plan the next one for this August. It's just that much nicer if you are not cold when standing on the upper deck.

PS: I'd rather do the Vienna - Black Sea cruise and not the Amsterdam - Budapest one, as the scenery from Amsterdam to about Wuerzburg isn't that great.

Halifax
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best season for Danube cruise

We sailed from Romania to Austria on MS Little Prince (Kleine Prinz) with Smart Tours from June 9 to 21, 2014 and I would highly recommend this route. Fantastic trip and weather was mid 30's during the day (a little cooler in the evening) with only 1 half day of rain! Beautiful stops in Bulgaria, Serbia, through the Iron Gates, Croatia, Hungary, Slovakia and ended in Vienna.

I wasn't able to find out much information about the MS Little Prince before the trip, so I thought I would share the answers that I was looking for: The riverboat is basic, nothing fancy, with wonderful staff and great food. Maximum capacity of guests is 90, and our trip was split between two groups (Canadians/US and Norwegians). There is a safe in each cabin for valuables/money. There is a European electric outlet in the bathroom and two by the beds. Dinners are casual - except for the Captain’s dinner it was smart casual. The ship's currency is Euro's which can also be used in the large cities and tourist areas. Everywhere else requires the countries’ currency and you will need to change money, especially in the small towns in Serbia, Croatia and Bulgaria. When you arrive in Vienna, you can disembark anytime - some of the guests had to leave for the airport at 4:30am... There is no wifi on board, but there is one computer in the lounge that has the internet when in most ports and occasionally when sailing. There is usually free wifi at cafes and restaurants that you can tap into.

california
Level Contributor
420 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best season for Danube cruise

Thanks to all who replied. Very helpful.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best season for Danube cruise

Many only think about low water problem potential but you mention high water also. good.

The Danube along your proposed route has had several water problems in recent years.

Yet statistics show the river is passable 99 % of the time.

In the recent past May - June have had some high water problems.

Boats have trouble getting beneath bridges, navigation aids are moved and often dockage areas were under water.

These problems do not normally last too long.

Lower water is a little better to cope- Many places like Austria have done much to dredge channels and remove" high spots" on the bottom.

Remember the Danube freight activity is huge and a large economic factor so effotrs made also to help it.

July and early august would be my choice- yes more people but generally lesser chance of too high or too low water.

Some ship companies do not do a good job in advising passengers of potential problems in advance . Some force passengers to change ships .

These firms seem often more interested in re- positioning their ships for next cruises than making current travelers comfortable .

No fun to pay a good price for a fine cruise and find your ship has become a bus.

A site like Cruise Critic may be a good source of info for you if you have not already reviewed it.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
37 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best season for Danube cruise

We did the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise in mid June - early July 2014 and faced a low-water problem in the Main-Danube canal, but luckily it rained on the right two days, so we were able to stay on the ship all the way. Some other companies had to transfer their passengers to buses. The rest of the days were sunny and short-sleeve weather during the days and perhaps a windcheater on deck at night.

You can't plan for weather, as a year earlier they had major flooding at the same time.

8. Re: Best season for Danube cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:15