We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Austria, vegetarians and a 6 year old kid

San Diego...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Austria, vegetarians and a 6 year old kid

Hi all,

I'll be in London and planning on an Austrian and maybe Germany trip. First of all we are vegetarians. My parents aged 60-70 and my 6 year old daughter will be with me. I'm confused if we were to book a tour for few days how will we manage our food being vegetarians? And if i'm looking at day trips I can try to book my hotel based on restaurants in that area, but is that feasible , ie day trips..how many day trips can I make? We are interested in Sound of Music tour, some Johann Strauss related , n other attractions there. Can anyone pls suggest a good tour operator or the best way to look around and any recommendations/idea.What are the places you would suggest to visit.

Thanks

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Austria, vegetarians and a 6 year old kid

Many Austrians are vegetarian and most restaurants will over dishes and there is no need to worry. Vienna has various vegetarian places.

How many days do you want to stay ?

Only Vienna or also Salzburg, where the Sound of Music film was shot and you can find the tours.

Vienna has milions of visitors and you can do various tours and things depending on your time.

With a 6 year old check also Vienna Prater fun fair and Vienna zoo which is one of the oldest in the world.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Austria, vegetarians and a 6 year old kid

Are you vegetarian or vegan? For the first one it is now much easier to get restaurants and meals.

For vegan it is a bit more difficult , in Vienna is not problem.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,132 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Austria, vegetarians and a 6 year old kid

You don't say where you plan to stay or if you are travelling independantly or booking a tour with a company such as Crystal or Inghams. If you are doing it with a company then they should be able to sort it all for you inc day trips. How many day trips depends and how long you stay and if you are hiring a car or relying on public transport. As other posters have said you shouldn't find it a problem re vegetarian diet. For a 6 year old the Salzkammergut area has a lot to offer and he/she would love the trick fountains at the Hellbrunn in Salzburg, the lakeside activitie etc.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Austria, vegetarians and a 6 year old kid

Thanks so much everyone for the replies! Appreciate it! We are planning to stay for about 3 days or so and we are vegetarians not vegans. Glad to know there are vegetarian food available there. We have not booked a tour grip yet, I'm still searching for one there, if I look at the operators from London, some seem to be pretty expensive with the flight fare etch so thought of looking for someone there itself. I hope I get one.

Again thanks everyone!

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Austria, vegetarians and a 6 year old kid

I travelled for about 15 days in Austria(and PRague) last year, and it was very easy being a vegetarian. Local cuisine options were limited, but Italian food, gelatos, sandwiches, pastries(with egg) were widely available and good enough to sustain myself. And ofcourse the breakfasts. I did Vienna,Salzburg,Graz and a little of the Salkammergut region in Austria

6. Re: Planning a trip to Austria, vegetarians and a 6 year old kid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 05:16