We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Weeks in Austria and Switzerland

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
2 Weeks in Austria and Switzerland

I am in the process of planning a 2 week trip to visit Austria and Switzerland. My fiancee and I do not plan on renting a car but rather prefer to use trains to get around. We intend on staying in hotels. We love the culture, history, attractions, restaurants that a city has to offer but we also want to make sure that we adsorb the beautiful scenery that these countries have to offer.

- land in Vienna

- Salzburg

- Innsbruck

- Liechtenstein

- Geneva

- depart from Zurich

Can anyone please shed some light on the following:

- amount of days to spend in each place

- should I not bother visiting any of the places listed?

- any places that you suggest I remove/add to the list

- places that you suggest we can visit as a day trip

Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Weeks in Austria and Switzerland

-Skip Liechtenstein. Yes, it's a separate country, but no, it is not worth it

-In Austria, certainly Vienna and Salzburg are musts, and Innsbruck is very nice as well. But your focus is on cities, while Tyrol does not have its main attractions in the city. The main attractions are the mountains and nature in general, which might be better experienced in a smaller village, higher up in the mountains. Check up on villages like Seefeld, Ellmau or Mayrhofen, or Zell am See in the province of Salzburg.

-In Switzerland, Zurich and Geneva are not your best options. Bern is a nicer city than Geneva.

Zermatt (with Matterhorn) is a must i.m.o., and many people take a trip on the Glacier Express. Other hotpots are the Jungfrau Region with Interlaken, Grindelwald or Wengen, and the picturesque city of Luzern.

Edited: 16 July 2014, 23:04
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Weeks in Austria and Switzerland

Hi,

For Austria it looks ok. Be sure to get into the alps in some of the villages around Innsbruck. For Switzerland, head to Lucerne and/or the Berner Oberland. Skip Liechtenstein altogether.

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Weeks in Austria and Switzerland

I recommend daytrips from Salzburg and Innsbruck to also see something of the Austrian Country side.

From Salzburg you could visit for example lake Wolfgangsee. You could go to St. Gilgen, take the ferry from there to St. Wolfgang (you can also go by bus to St. Wolfgang, if you prefer) and go up the Schafberg mountain with the cog railway. The views from the Schafberg are spectacular - you can overlook many lakes and mountains of the surrounding region.

If you are in the area you can also consider visiting Halsltatt and Bad Ischl.

In Innsbruck, you definitely have to go up the Nordkette mountain - there is a funicular going up right from the center. There are also many nice mountain villages in the surrounding. Seefeld would be a good choice close to Innsbruck. You could also visit the Stubai glacier, which is just one hour from Innsbruck.

Best regards, Christina

4. Re: 2 Weeks in Austria and Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 05:17