We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad ischl or schoenbrunn

Riverside...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Bad ischl or schoenbrunn

Which is nicer more important to visit Bad Ischl or Schoenbrunn? Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,685 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad ischl or schoenbrunn

well, ones a palace with gardens and trick fountains. the other is an old town on a river confluence, where you can walk along the promenade, sit and enjoy coffee by the river, visit franz josefs villa where declaration of ww1 was signed. pass through the salzkammergut area and admire scenery.

so it is entirely up to you, but i know which i would go for.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad ischl or schoenbrunn

A palace with trick fountains nak? I think you've got the wrong palace!

Schönbrunn is Austria's most visited attraction and a World Cultural Heritage Site. But it is in a major city so as nak says Bad Ischl is very different. Surely which you see will depend on where you are coming from or going to?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,685 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad ischl or schoenbrunn

oops. sorry, i was thinking of hellbrunn. confused because they are in two different cities, and i assumed that the op was referring to the salzburg area. so scrub the trick fountains. that reduces it to a palace and gardens. so that makes it an even bigger difference.

but from his posts, i see that op is trying to do vienna and salzburg on a 4 day trip, so it seems like a whistle stop trip. we should really be told of the true itinerary and likes/dislikes.

Riverside...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad ischl or schoenbrunn

Yes youre right it is only a 4 day trip and i was actually wondering which one to go.see the inside,because i dont think we have time to see the interior of both castles. Thanks so much.for your input.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad ischl or schoenbrunn

A bit more research may be called for. The Schonbrunn in Vienna needs the best part of a day to see the palace and gardens.It is stunning. Bad Ischl does not have a castle or palace just a very nice large villa which was the summer residence of the Kaiser and the Empress Elizabeth (Sissi).It is a lovely town in a beautiful setting. In four days you really are trying to cram in too much and unless you have a particular interest in the history of either place they might be best left off your list. What is 'important' to see is whatever excites and interests you.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad ischl or schoenbrunn

You will not see Bad Ischl inside. It's a town.

July the 28th is the 100th anniversary of the declaration signed at the Imperial Villa in Bad Ischl.

Which led to the outbreak of World War One.

Riverside...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad ischl or schoenbrunn

Thanks,we have to drive that way anyways,so which road is nicest from wien (bad ischl)to salzburg?also any inexpensive campgrounds there?thanks

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad ischl or schoenbrunn

From Bad Ischl longer way to Salzburg. Go south heading for Hallstatt and then head for Gosau (Then onto Salzburg).

Have a look on Google maps it will make sense. If you get 30 minutes stop at Gosausee. (See my Avatar)

Or just follow the 158 down Lake Wolfgang.

9. Re: Bad ischl or schoenbrunn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 05:15