We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna - Grossglockner - Hohe Tauren

israel
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Vienna - Grossglockner - Hohe Tauren

Hi, We're a couple and we're thinking about taking a last minute flight this weekend to Vienna, for a week.

What I'm planning is 3 days in Vienna, then renting a car and going to grossglockner high alpine road, and then making our way to Hohe Tauren NP where we want to sleep for a night or two and hike a bit before making our way back to Vienna.

Does this sound reasonable to you, or a bit too much for 6 nights?

Also, I understand Hohe Tauren is actually a huge national park and divided to different areas.

Can you recommend us a specific place to visit/hike, alone or by a group (we're not the most experienced hikers, I must admit) which is both beautiful and close to our route?

Lastly, is it not too late to book hotels/cabins/any other kind of beds in vienna/hohe tauren to this weekend?

Thanks alot in advance!!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,843 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna - Grossglockner - Hohe Tauren

Hi there,

Well the drive Vienna to southside of GG isn't for the fainthearted in being quite a drive - I'd say 5-6 hours until you are at Heiligenblut. And then the drive onward to your walking acco base.

The Eastern part of the Park, e.g. Rauris, is closest to Vienna and hence probably fits best in your plans. The more Western parts, e.g. Mittersill-Ladeggwang-Matrei axis, would offer a landscape most differing from the GG whilst Rauris looks a bit similar to GG. So up to you to decide...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,703 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna - Grossglockner - Hohe Tauren

to go from vienna , over the grossglockner and then back again to the likes of kaprun, would take you well over 7 hours of continual driving, with out stops! and dont forget, there are several stopping areas for views and possibly a trip down to the glacier!

by the wy, the hohe tauern is a massive area, and the pass is actually part of it, so maybe you could have your walking trip from kaprun, or possibly zell am see

possibly you should drive from vienna to kaprun, stay overnight, the following day do the gg and possibly hike there. there are even a couple of b and bs up there. then return to kaprun for your overnight before return to vienna.

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna - Grossglockner - Hohe Tauren

Ýou could also first drive to Heiligenblut over the A2 and stop some hours on the way at a lake in Carinthia.

Then you could spend two nigths in Heiligenblut, which is a nice base for hikes in the national park.

Then drive over the Grossglockner Straße and - if you have time - add maybe one night in Zell am See.

Best regards, Christina

israel
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna - Grossglockner - Hohe Tauren

Hi all and thanks for your kind replies!

Now I understand that Grossglockner is pretty far from Vienna and also a good place for hiking :)

Three questions about that:

1) Some of you seem to recommend starting the GG from the south side (Heiligenblut). Isn't it better to start from Kaprun's side, as it's closer to Vienna? (as nakagoli replied). Are there any benefits by starting from the south side?

2) I read that there's a hiking trail that goes from the parking lot at Kaiser-Franz-Josefs-Höhe to the Pasterze Glacier tounge and further over the Margaritzen Reservoir to the Glockner House. Is the trail circular and will get me back to the parking lot or am I supposed to take a bus back there?

3) How much time does it take to drive the GG road?

Our trip just got a bit longer - 8 nights. We're arriving on the 24th morning.

So this is what i'm thinking of now:

24-27 (3 nights) Vienna, on the 27th (sunday) renting a car and driving to Kaprun/Heiligenblut and then staying there for the night.

28th - doing the GG and Pasterze glacier, back the Karpun/Heiligenblut for another night.

29 - 30 - ?? anything in the area. Heard good things about Going and Salzburg (Eisriesenwelt)

31 - back the Vienna

Sorry for the long & messy text, i'm pretty excited and stressed (still have to book hotels!)

Thanks in advance!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,843 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna - Grossglockner - Hohe Tauren

Hi again,

Partial answers again.

1] Well it does not matter too much which side to start. Actually the north side starts at Bruck village, Kaprun is about 5 km to the west of that in another valley (with magnificent views of the Tauern massive and a nice walking/cable car system of its own, unlike Bruck).

3] I'd say 2 hours between Heiligenblut and Bruck with at least the bare minimum of scenic stops. For most people longer however as they'd make the detour to the glacier bottom and viewpoints.

So for new plan:

* 27th then best to stay north side, e.g. Kaprun

* At end Salzburg/Salzkammergut is wholly different experience, but if you want that instead of exploring the Tauern surroundings (e.g. Krimml waterfalls, Mittersill, Zell am See) more it's your party...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

6. Re: Vienna - Grossglockner - Hohe Tauren

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 05:16