We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short boat trip on Danube

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Short boat trip on Danube

We are going to Europe in May to Amsterdam. Planning to make our way to Vienna, then Prague. will mostly be traveling by train with some sort of pass.

We would like to take short boat ride on Danube. Think we may do Vienna to Bratislava. But having hard time picking another. Can't really tell how easy it is to get from train to boat, take the ride to another town then get off and back on another train. Melk to Krems sounds good but looks like train connections may be hard.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Phil

Best Seller
The Original Sound of Music Tour in...
2,055 reviews
from US$52.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Schönbrunn Palace: Audio Tour, Dinner...
664 reviews
from US$118.30*
Day Trip to Salzburg from Vienna
82 reviews
from US$148.20*
Kursalon Vienna: Johann Strauss and...
132 reviews
from US$104.60*
Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short boat trip on Danube

Get a "Kombiticket" from Austrian Rail and visit the Wachau valley.

…railtours.at/combitickets-summerdreams/aust…

Go to one of the main train stations in Vienna and go to the ÖBB (Austrian Rail) travel office for full information and purchase. I took one, which had one-way rail travel to Dürnstein, and then I took a ship back to Vienna. Melk is also very, very beautiful. It gives you time to have lunch, see the sights, and then get back to Vienna.

P.S. Richard the Lionhearted (crusades) was from Dürnstein. See his castle, sights, and then have lunch in the little hotel overlooking the Danube from the hill, high above the river.

Edited: 24 August 2014, 21:51
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
644 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short boat trip on Danube

Sorry Castleblanca, but that was not Richard Lion Heart's castle. Richard I of England was making his way back from the third crusade when he was caught and imprisoned in Durnstein by Duke Leopold V of Austria. He was held in that castle for ransom and I doubt he liked being a "guest" of the Duke.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short boat trip on Danube

Richard the Lionheart ----English king ---was imprisoned at Durnstein for a few months on his return from the 3rd crusade.He wasn't 'from' Durnstein.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short boat trip on Danube

Agreed! I should have said his "prison".

However, he was there, and the hotel is named after him. Also, the restaurant is very, very good.

http://www.richardloewenherz.at/

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
644 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short boat trip on Danube

Restaurant is very good. History was way off, but that happens.

6. Re: Short boat trip on Danube

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 06:16