We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxis to Melk Abbey from cruise ship dock

Which Melk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
taxis to Melk Abbey from cruise ship dock

my husband has some mobility problems so we prefer to not join organised tours and do things at our own pace.

our cruise ship stops at Melk and we would like to make a short trip to the Abbey but my husband would not be able to walk up the hill to the Abbey .Research has mentioned a 'shuttle bus' to the Abbey and another comment was that there were' not many taxis around.'

I would welcome any suggestions on independently getting up to the Abbey and back e.g. location of taxi rank, more information on the 'shuttle' .

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,916 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxis to Melk Abbey from cruise ship dock

Perhps the concierge on the cruise ship can call you a taxi in case there isn't one available at the landing point.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxis to Melk Abbey from cruise ship dock

I would check with your cruise line. Many or even most will provide a shuttle bus for the transfer from boat to Abbey .

This especially important as many of the ships guests are older and often with mobility problems.

While the first part of the way from boat to Abbey entrance is relatively level - it then becomes a good uphill grade toward the Abbey- much better to take the transfer.

While melk has a few taxis , I have never seen them by the Abbey waiting.

3. Re: taxis to Melk Abbey from cruise ship dock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 07:15