We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Viewing Platform in Hallstatt

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
New Viewing Platform in Hallstatt

FYI

A new viewing platform will open on the 15th August at the Rudolfstrum restaurant above the village of Hallstatt. I was up there recently watching them build the foundations for the platform.

For those who know the restaurant you get amazing views from the terrace of Lake Hallstatt.

The platform is just below the terrace. It's been dropped into position by Helicopter.

The food is very good as well. :-)

You can walk up to the Rudolfstrum or just take the funicular up from the village.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Viewing Platform in Hallstatt

Opened yesterday

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2395730/First-b…

Singapore
Level Contributor
282 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Viewing Platform in Hallstatt

Thank you for the Information. Do we need to pay an entrance fee to go to the viewing platform?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Viewing Platform in Hallstatt

I have seen nothing yet to indicate that there is charge.

I doubt it.

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Viewing Platform in Hallstatt

Thanks staff, looks pretty cool! Not sure I will get my wife out on it but you never know.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Viewing Platform in Hallstatt

Looks stunning! Anyone know if it is open all year round, we will probably be in the area in December?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,703 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Viewing Platform in Hallstatt

the problem here is that the site is at the topo of the funicular, so, unless you want a stiff climb, you are going to have to pay some charge. also, the funicular is/was geared to the saltmine, which is closed in winter. will they now run the funicular all winter long? somehow, I would be doubtful, but will keep an eye on opening dates

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Viewing Platform in Hallstatt

It was paid for by the Salt mine company to encourage more visitors to the mine. If you are doing the funicular and Salt Mine then this is a bonus. It also happens to be next to a good place to eat. Which also has great views from the terrace.

The funicular closes same day as the mine. 27th October. As nakagoli said it's a steep walk up and you need to be reasonably fit. In December it could be dangerous to walk up if there is snow.

I also doubt they will run the funicular if the mine is closed. I will try and find out if the opening times are going to change.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,779 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Viewing Platform in Hallstatt

Hey, great new attraction! Next time I will go to Hallstatt, I'll definitely go there!

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Viewing Platform in Hallstatt

Any news on winter opening yet staff025? I haven't been able to find any info. We are hoping to be in the area in December, but so much in Hallstatt seems closed. Hiking up would be fine, I'm a fitness freak anyway, but it would be nice to know if it will be open and safe.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Viewing Platform in Hallstatt

Hi

Funicular closes end October as normal.

The platform will close in November open again in May 2014. Sorry

I guess it's on safety grounds. Will be snow/ice by December.

Get answers to your questions about Hallstatt