We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra day in Hallstatt??

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
86 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Extra day in Hallstatt??

I'm heading from Prague south to Austria and I'm unsure as of what to do. I would like to hit Vienna first and then make my way over to Hallstatt for a day. Should I skip Vienna and spend that extra time in the Hallstatt/Obertraun area, or should I make the trip to Vienna? I want to hear from those in the Hallstatt region to get your opinions on whether or not Vienna is a worthwhile trip if I only have 1-2 days there?

Thanks

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,816 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra day in Hallstatt??

Well, do you like to see the capital City with all the great sights or do you prefer the country side? Vienna is absoutely worth visit it, but if your time is so limited you could also visit Vienna another time for a longer time. Hallstatt is very small, but the region around it are beuatiful. It all depends on you.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,147 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra day in Hallstatt??

I agree with the above post. hallstatt is small and in a lovely area, but Vienna is also a lovely city. if going from prague to Austria, you will probably go through linz. Vienna is one way, hallstatt/Salzburg is the other way. so you really have to make the decision yourself. you don't say when you are going, but if mid winter, Vienna might be the wiser choice, but if going within the next month, I would plump for salzkammergut/hallstatt area.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
86 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra day in Hallstatt??

Nakagoli, I will be going in May. I do love to see the architecture and history in big cities, but for me there's something extraordinary about nature's architecture that draws me in. If I'm in the area for a couple of days would you say Hallstatt or Obertraun as a better place to stay?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,147 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extra day in Hallstatt??

hallstatt has not got a great lot of places to stay, and obertraun is nearby. however, I would suggest that as you like natures architecture, and are presumably driving, then I heartly recommend that you look for a place on the wolfgangsee. the scenery by the lake is stunning, and there are gondola lift, rack railway, ferry journeys etc, and you are close to Salzburg.

hallstatt/obertraun area also has great facilities, salt mine with viewing platform, ice caves with high viewing area (five fingers) accessed by cable car

then between Salzburg and hallstatt, there is bad ischl, with its thermal baths, cable car (but no lake)

I like Vienna, but really, apart from prater park and cultural builidngs, there is less in the vicinity (I will probably be shot for saying that, but it is just my opinion)

ps. my avatar is of the view looking down the wolfgangsee

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
86 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extra day in Hallstatt??

Thanks Nakagoli, that is exactly what I was looking for.

6. Re: Extra day in Hallstatt??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 05:19