We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying in Hallstatt Austria for a week in summer?

Which Hallstatt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
staying in Hallstatt Austria for a week in summer?

Is Hallstatt a worthy destination for a leisurely week of walking? Would you stay by the lake, or is that noisy in the summer? Is Obertraun a good place to stay for access to the lake and walks or is it too quiet and remote?

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: staying in Hallstatt Austria for a week in summer?

Hallstatt is defintely a beatufil village and well worth a visit, but if you want to go hiking in the mountains or swimming in the lake, there are better bases. Obertraun is just 5 minutes from Hallstatt by bus or tran, so it is not really more remote than Hallstatt. From Obertraun you can easily go up by cable car to the Dachstein, so you have easy access to hiking in the mountains and for bathing in the lake, Obertraun is definitely better than Hallstatt. In summer you might even enjoy that Obertraun is a bit more quite than Hallstatt itself. You can always easily hop into Hallstatt - as I said, it is just 5 minutes away.

Best regards, Christina

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: staying in Hallstatt Austria for a week in summer?

Thank you for that - I have booked a place in Obertraun and was just wondering as we also saw some places on the water in Hallstatt with amazing views, but I feared it might be too frenetic in the summer.

We are also looking for another destination for a week, within easy travel by train from there, that might have some more adventurous hiking. Any suggestions?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,921 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying in Hallstatt Austria for a week in summer?

it really depends on the type of hiking you want to do. you could of course get some very good hiking over at gosau, , quite close to hallstatt and accessible by bus. or you could go to wolfgangsee area , again by bus on way to Salzburg. there are peaks, mountains, lake walks etc etc. beautiful area to enjoy, and hundreds of hikes available.

of course, you could get to the other side of Salzburg and visit an area like kitzbuhel or zell am see, but to get there you would have quite a journey using bus and train

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying in Hallstatt Austria for a week in summer?

I agree with post 1 Obertraun is a better base for walking and it's a lot quieter in the Summer.

One lovely walk is to catch the train to Bad Aussee and walk back to Obertraun.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,916 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying in Hallstatt Austria for a week in summer?

Hallstatt is a nice place and an absolute must in the area, but I would not stay there too long. Will you be having a car? Here is some info on hiking in the area: dachstein.salzkammergut.at/en/hiking.html

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: staying in Hallstatt Austria for a week in summer?

We will not have a car, so have to get around by train. I wanted to spend a second week somewhere with some more adventurous hiking after relaxing in Obertraun - was hoping to return to Seefeld, but that is too difficult to get to via public transport. Any suggestions for somewhere 2 to 3 hours away by train that would be good - have also been to Zell Am Zee, Kitzbuhl, Shruns, Mayerhofen, but looking for somewhere closer to Hallstatt.

Thanks

7. Re: staying in Hallstatt Austria for a week in summer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 05:16