We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Vienna for 5 days- need suggestions

Which Hallstatt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
135 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Vienna for 5 days- need suggestions

Planning to travel to Vienna in mid-June with my wife. Never been to Vienna before although we have visited Salzburg previously for one day, and we loved the scenary. I want to find out if anyone has any suggestion as to where to visit in Austria using Vienna as our base. Is it possible to travel from Vienna to Hallstatt on a one day excursion? or should I be looking to stay in Hallstatt overnight? (not sure how far is Hallstatt from Vienna and the modes of transportation needed). Any other beautiful places I shouldn't miss while travelling to Austria? I am open to any tips and suggestions. Thanks!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Vienna for 5 days- need suggestions

What is your overall itinerary?

NYC
Level Contributor
135 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Vienna for 5 days- need suggestions

No definitive itinerary yet, so I am opened to any suggestions. We are flying from NY and plan to visit Vienna/Austria for 5 days.Tentatively planning to spend 2 days touring Vienna city, and using Vienna as our base for 2 or 3 days excursions from Vienna. (unless people suggest we should spend few nights in another location?) I am hoping to visit Hallstatt on one of these excursion days. Do they have any bus tours leaving from Vienna to Hallstatt? Any other beautiful places we should be visiting on excursion? We have visited Salzburg before.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Vienna for 5 days- need suggestions

Hallstatt can be seen in a day from Vienna, but it's gonna be a long day. Vienna itself deserves rather 3 full days. You could spend two days in the district where Hallstatt is located, namely the "Salzkammergut", where you also find other places of interest such as Sankt Wolfgang (+ lake of the same name), Bad Ischl (= former summer residence of the emperor), Gmunden (Traunsee Lake), Dachstein Mountain accessible from Obertraun (ice cave + 5-finger outlook).

From Vienna many visitors visit the picturesque "Wachau", a very beautiful section of the River Danube between the towns of Melk and Krems. It is the perfect day trip!

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Vienna for 5 days- need suggestions

Agree with Mikey you could do Hallstatt as a day trip from Vienna but do you really want to spend 7 hours on trains? Means a very early start and arrive back in Vienna late if you want to have a reasonably amount of time in Hallstatt.

I would go with the suggestion to stay in the lake district for a couple of days. Bad Ischl makes a good base unless you want to be near a lake. Also consider Obertraun as a place to stay rather than Hallstatt. Two trains to get to Obertraun and about 3.5 - 4 hours from Vienna.

5. Re: Travel to Vienna for 5 days- need suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 05:16