We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hallstatt (September 2014)

7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hallstatt (September 2014)

1) How many nights would you recommend spending on Lake Hallstatt? What towns are the best for lodging and a base? Hallstatt? Obertraun? Bad Ischl?

2) Is it easy to get from one town to the other in the evening? looks like there is ferry service in the day?

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hallstatt (September 2014)

A day trip is not a bad idea at all, but it would be awesome if you can stay. I would prefer staying at Halstatt more than anything else, because the mornings and evenings are amazing without any tourists around. Bad Ischl too is a good base.

You can have a look at my triplog here: …wordpress.com/my-travels-2/… Gosau and Gosausee is another place you can visit from Halstatt.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
21,496 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hallstatt (September 2014)

the ferry service is to service the train. bad ischl is not on the lake, but is about 8 miles away. but bad ischl is a good base for going to hallstatt, salzburg, wolfgangsee etc

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hallstatt (September 2014)

Hallstatt and Obertraun are small villages. Bad Ischl is a town with a population of 14,000.

Bad Ischl makes a great base for exploring especially if using public transport.

4. Re: Hallstatt (September 2014)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 06:16