We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Linz to Cesky Krumlov...is it possible on train/bus?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
950 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Linz to Cesky Krumlov...is it possible on train/bus?

Just a thought for a day trip from Linz to Cesky Krumlov...is it doable by train, bus or even a shuttle through a private company.

Also, from CK we will have to meet our ship in Passau. Any info on how to get there as well?

Very much appreciated.

Postlingbergbahn
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Hauptplatz
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Mariendom Linz
Churches & Cathedrals, Sacred & Religious Sites
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,915 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Linz to Cesky Krumlov...is it possible on train/bus?

It is do-able - there are direct trains to Kaplice from Linz and then local bus from there. About 3.5 hours.

To Passau is more problematical as the direct rail line was ripped up after WWII. You would have to go back to Linz via České Budějovice and then train from there. Takes about 5 - 7 hours. For all times see www.idos.cz (English button bottom right).

However, Český Krumlov is best seen when all the tourists have gone, so an overnight stay is recommended. It can get very crowded during the day.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
950 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Linz to Cesky Krumlov...is it possible on train/bus?

Didn't realize the journey takes that long. We'll shelve this idea for now.

Thanks so much for your help.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
23,618 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Linz to Cesky Krumlov...is it possible on train/bus?

Perhaps a rental car would be a good idea for this undertaking! Just check whether you are allowed to take your car into the Czech Republic.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
950 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Linz to Cesky Krumlov...is it possible on train/bus?

Thanks, Mikey___

That's another possibility but we've never driven in Europe before so we have to re-think about this one.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
23,618 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Linz to Cesky Krumlov...is it possible on train/bus?

In these times with GPS assistance driving is not so complicated anymore. In addition, you would not have to enter a large city like Vienna where driving can be a nightmare for someone not being familiar with the city. Another advantage would be that you could visit towns of the area.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
950 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Linz to Cesky Krumlov...is it possible on train/bus?

thanks for the idea --- at this time, we're not up for the challenge. it's important that we arrive in Passau at a certain time otherwise, the ship will leave without us!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
269 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Linz to Cesky Krumlov...is it possible on train/bus?

There are several shuttle bus companies that run between Linz & Cesky Krumlov: shuttlebus.cz, ckshuttle.cz, and shuttleceskykrumlov.com all charge about 400 CZK/person one way, I think you can negotiate a roundtrip for less.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
950 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Linz to Cesky Krumlov...is it possible on train/bus?

That's a good rate, if it is. I'll check it out.

Did you do this before? How was the service? Safe drivers?

Appreciate any input. Thanks!

Linz, Austria
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Linz to Cesky Krumlov...is it possible on train/bus?

I travelled with http://www.shuttleceskykrumlov.com/ from Linz to Cesky Krumlov forth and back in May. I checked the price and time on several shuttle companies and found this one to be the best choice. I booked a last minute offer, however you will have to wait for their manual confirmation back, they replied within one day and sent me a link to desopit a small amount through paypal. The car that picked me up on time from Linz was just for me and driver was a young boy and spoke English. There was no speical labels on the car it was a bit tricky to recognise, but just look for a Czech registration. However the drive from Linz to CK happens to be quite curvy a lot of turns and it was hard to judge the drive due to the geographical location. On the way back the driver was about 15 mins late due to other pickups, and the mini-bus was old and rusty.

Overall I would recommend this service to other people, the drive is approx. 1 hour, the price is good and it is convenient if you don't have a rental.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,915 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Linz to Cesky Krumlov...is it possible on train/bus?

An hour? It is almost 100 km, so your driver must have been taking those curves at some illegal speeds :)

Get answers to your questions about Linz