We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wien to Graz to Salzburg by Train

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Wien to Graz to Salzburg by Train

We are still looking at routes for an early December vacation flying into Wien and out of München. We have visited Österreich before but never Graz; it was always a stretch to get there. I am wondering if I can work Graz into this trip.

From Wien to Graz (via Bruck an der Mur) I notice that the train route crosses the Alps. From Graz to Salzburg (via Bischhofen) it appears that train route follows mountain valleys. Are these two routes scenic? Are either likely to be closed the first week of December by weather?

Thank you, Gary

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wien to Graz to Salzburg by Train

This would be a perfect trip by train:

Vienna- Graz - Salzburg- Munich

The train rides from Vienna to Graz and from Graz to Salzburg will be scenic and not likely be closed in winter.

Schedule info:

www.oebb.com

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
24,840 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wien to Graz to Salzburg by Train

These rail tracks belong to very important corridors in Austria, so no delays or closures to expect! Trains are normally very reliable! Furthermore, the landscape is very scenic but don't expect an experience like on the Glacier Express in Switzerland. I particularly love train travel if the landscape is covered by snow!! The pass over the Semmering is worldwide known and protected by the UNESCO. Just because of this section it is worth to travel by train to Graz (or to the Southern provinces).

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
24,840 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wien to Graz to Salzburg by Train

http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wien to Graz to Salzburg by Train

Thank you all very much. I had already queried to oebb. I was just concerned that there might be a history of snow-outs on either of these routes. You have set my mind at ease.

Thanks again. Gary

5. Re: Wien to Graz to Salzburg by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Graz