We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bakeries in Graz

Which Graz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork
Level Contributor
165 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Bakeries in Graz

Hello fellow travellers, we will be staying in the center of Graz in January for my husbands birthday. Can you advise the name of any nice bakeries where I could get a baked Alaska made for about 8 people to take out. We will be staying at the Hotel Das Weitzer

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,202 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bakeries in Graz

I visited Graz a few years ago. To be honest, I didnt find any of the nice bakeries I know from Salzburg or Vienna. Nothing was high quality and people werent so friendly either. I remember there was a Cafe Sacher in the centre of town, pedestrian area. However, I dont think baked Alaska is something which is common in Austria. More of a dessert I remember from days gone by.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bakeries in Graz

This is an uncommon dessert in Austria and I don't think I have ever seen it in Vienna, so I can't imagine it could be found in Graz. Does it have to be baked Alaska?

Cork
Level Contributor
165 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bakeries in Graz

That's one of his favorites, but if they don't do it I won't look for anything else, save the calories !

Thank you

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bakeries in Graz

Hi!

As Cherries_Jubilee said before, this desert is not common in Austria. In the German speaking area it is also known (if it is known...) as "Omlette surprise" and not as baked Alaska.

You should also not look for bakeries (Bäckerei - focuses on bread), but rather for a "Konditorei" (makes cakes, sometimes ice cream and other sweet deserts). If you contact a Konditorei early enough ( a few days before your husband's birthday), maybe the can prepare the desert especially for you, but in this case you would have to expect quite a high price, I guess.

You could try to ask the following companies in Graz, which offer custom.made cakes and desserts:

- Bäckerei und Konditorei Kotzbeck-Loh

- Konditorei Klescher

- Konditorei Hochl & Co

Good luck!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,029 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bakeries in Graz

Funny you should say the locals were unfriendly Nomadic. My wife and I just spent 3 days there and found the same. SO many sour old people (but friendly young people). We found out later that we were on the "wrong" side of the river. Much nicer and younger on the right bank by the Kunsthaus.

6. Re: Bakeries in Graz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2014, 05:19