We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing late Dec 08

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
55 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing late Dec 08

Hi

We are a family of 4 'adults' planning a ski trip in late Dec. Has anyone delt with skiingaustria.co.uk? I found them whilst trying to work out where the best places to go at that time would be which guaranteed snow. They have been most helpful, but I am weary of booking thorough an establishment found on the net who has not been recommended.

Secondly they have advised two accomodations - the first is Hotel Garni Alpenland in Altenmarkt Pongau near Flachau and the second is SSG Apartments in Kaprun. Could anyone who has been to either of these establishments let me know how they are?

Many thanks

DORSET
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing late Dec 08

I haven't used this company and I am also in the process of trying to find a recommendation for a holiday January 09.

However, one thing I will advise is to avoid booking with an agent that is NOT ABTA bonded. If they are ABTA bonded you should be ok. To check this, their web page should show the ABTA logo and they should have an ABTA number, you can then contact ABTA to confirm that they are a legitimate company.

Hope this helps.

Catherine

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
55 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing late Dec 08

Thanks for the advice - will do.

Cheers

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing late Dec 08

If you want to go skiing late December, suggest you get a package from one of the local tour operators.

New Year is always very full in Ski resorts, suggest you try Zell am See which is about half an hour by bus from Kaprun, go there every 2nd year and love it.

Don't know if you have skied before, but if its your first time, it is well worth go thru a S A operator, one of their packages, ski hire, pass ski tuition, entertainment, transfers are all included.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing late Dec 08

Hi,

if you don't have a preference for either hotel I'd suggest to pick Kaprun for a location. While Flauchau is a very nice town it can have little snow in warmer winters due to its low elevation. Kaprun has a glacier so it is always a safe bet.

If you need more let me know. I live in the area and am a passionate skier.

Cheers,

Michael

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing late Dec 08

The only quaranty that you can ski on December is a glacier. I am Greek and live in Greece. So we are planning our next trip after the end of the previous. So Kaprum at Zell am See is very good. Zillertal Arena at Zell am Ziller (different location than Zell am See). You will find there Hintertux Glacier. You can stay in many villages in Zillertal (Ziller valley).Also many ski areas in this valley. I have chosen a place close to Innsbruck. It is called Stubaital, and usually we stay in Neustift (im Stubaital). They have a tourist office, which will give you information and will book you any kind of accomodation you want. If the weather is good you can go to the galcier. If it very cold you can go to a lower altitude ski area, in Fulpmes. At the same time you are very close to Innsbruck ( 10 minutes of drive). I've stayed to many hotels,rooms etc. Haven't find a bad one yet. Even the cheap ones are excellent. Just choose the place, and don't worry about the hotels. Also every town or village in Austria has a tourist office. Find then on the web, they are very helpful, and it saves money.

Sheffield UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing late Dec 08

having skied Austria for the last 2 years the week before Xmas I can recommend Obertauern ..guaranteed snow...You would have no problems booking any Hotel direct and the transfers are reasonable via the web site (ring up as they DO take credit cards) and 1hr to Salzburg airport ..good skiing and quite reasonable hotels (some of them include the lift pass in the price)

Essex
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing late Dec 08

Hi, I have not heard of this company but have been booking ski trips to Austria for my family and friends for the last 8 years. My advise is to decide on an area you want to go to (based on height/transfer time from airport/airport - generally it is more expensive to fly to innsbruck and cheaper to fly to salzburg) Then find the tourist board website and request a brochure with the accomodation, it is very easy to eliminate hotels as there is a town map and you can see which one is near a lift, the bars etc. and they all list their facilities and a price guide. Then you can email them all directly with your dates for an offer. This is the cheapest way. Then book flights yourself. Transfers are easy to book using the airport website, they always list the names contact details of transfer/taxi companies and you can email them all for the best price. Example taxi from Salzburg to Saalbach-Hinterglemm (1hr) costs 95 Euro for an 8 person taxi.

I hope this helps.

Angela

Radstadt, Austria
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skiing late Dec 08

Hi,

I live in Radstadt (the town next to Altenmarkt with adjoining skiing).

radstadt and altenmarkt are fantastic 'hubs' to ski different areas within the massive ski-amade network.

We have been based out here for over 2 years now and run a guest house in radstadt (www.austrian-adventures.com).

Zauchensee is a purpose built resort it WILL have plenty of snow by December. There are plenty of buses to Zauchensee from Altenmarkt.

Obertauern is another purpose built resort, this WILL have snow!

Reiteralm and Schladming are also on your pass and easy to access and guess what, they WILL have snow!

There are many small operators (like us) based in Austria that are English run. Unfortunately we can't afford the ABTA certification as we are just a private guest house.

This does not mean that we are dodgy though... just e-mail, ring and do a bit of research!

I hope you have a great time out in Austria!

9. Re: Skiing late Dec 08

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 10:21