We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weddings in Austria

Ireland
4 posts
Save Topic
Weddings in Austria

Hi I was just wondering has anyone got married in Austria.We want a skiing holiday with family and also get married there! All help greatly appreciated.

ireland
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weddings in Austria

we are getting maried hopefully in zell am see next january. we are bringing children and grandparents and friends who want to come. we are booking it throiugh local travel agents but they are getting the help from the crsytal holidays to organise the wedding end of it ie. church, flowers, etc. what resort were you in? is it suitable for children. i personally am not too interested in the slopes but like the idea of wedding with a difference! my partner has always wanted to go skiing so it was perfect excuse kill 2 birds?

ireland
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weddings in Austria

hi we are also in the process of organising a wedding in austria. we are going through our local travel agents but they are getting the assistance of crystal ski company in england, they organise weddings in england but they said they would help with this wedding. we have looked into all the resorts and thought zell am see looked the best for both non skiers and skiers. we also want it to be a family holiday as we have children and grandparents coming. we are hopin g for jan next year. which resort were you in?

Swansea, Wales
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weddings in Austria

I will be getting married in Zell am See in March 2005. I will tell you all I can when I get back. Hopefully things will go without a hitch and I'll have some good things to report!

Leeds, Uk
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weddings in Austria

Have a look at St Wolfgang, it is absolutely beautiful and through Crystal and Thomson holidays you can get married in Mondsee where they got married in the Sound of Music. The skiing is a little limited but great for beginners.

ireland
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weddings in Austria

hi maxine what hotel are you staying in. if you here anything about the grand hotel let me know. we are hoping to book that one. we have never been there but it looks lovely on the internet! was it hard to organise? how much aprox did it cost you?

Swansea, Wales
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weddings in Austria

Hi Mossy. We booked with Thomson and are staying at the Romantik hotel (formerly Metzgerwirt Hotel) as it is specifically rated by Thomsons as a wedding hotel. We have parents, grandparents, sisters, brothers and friends coming along and they are staying in different hotels although none are staying at the Grand Hotel, although I've heard good things about it. The hotel has cost us ��1395 for a suite for a week on a half-board basis and the wedding was just under ��400 - bargain!! We have also asked for the wedding party to be catered for at the hotel so that hopefully, we'll just have one big party! Thomson have been OK but very slow in arranging things - for example, we wanted to book the wedding twelve months before we wanted to get married but we did not get confirmation of the booking until September. We have also asked for extras on the booking and they have still not yet been confirmed (including the photographer). I'll keep you posted! Also, there are a lot of forms that need to be completed before you go. If you need any help, just ask.

Stamford
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weddings in Austria

Hello, we also getting married in Zell am See in 3 weeks time! We are staying at the romantik hotel, and getting married at the registry office. We arranged the wedding through Thomsons and we found them slow too. We have organised our own reception up in the mountains. We have 25 people coming over at various points during the week leading up to the wedding. I have organised their accommodation separately. The tourist information office were very good and the Hotel Gruner Baum next door to the Romantik hotel have been really helpful and friendly, most of our friends are staying there. Whenever I've wanted doing something quickly, I have contacted people direct rather than go through Thomsons. Everyone has been really approachable and we are very excited! Anyone who has any questions give me a shout, otherwise I'll let you all know how we get on in March!

ireland
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weddings in Austria

hi maxine you are all organised. i would really appreciate if you could let me know were you got he forms that you needed. are you getting married in church or registery. i am hoping church wedding. it is so hard trying to organise this. like you the travel agents wont confirm anyhting saying its too early. have you been to austria before. we were watching travel show last night and had zell am see, it looked quiet enough. we are going with grand hotel because of children club and swimming pool. its more expensive but its a once in a lifetime hopefully!!! l would love to know how your wedding goes and you can let me know the pros and cons

London
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weddings in Austria

Hi Mossy, Poppy et al

I'm getting married in Kitzbuhel in Feb 06 (while to go yet!), basically because the resort has a good range of skiing and has plenty for non skiers as well...and its cute! Snow record is better elsewhere though...

OK, We're doing the planning ourselves, partly becuase I'm a born organiser and get a kick out of it, but also because no tour operator does weddings to this resort. But the reason why Thomson and others are slow on the uptake is that no wedding in Austria can be booked more than 6 months in advance so they would be wrong to say they can promise you a certain date way in advance. This is partly because the documents you have to send in advance have to be translated from English into German by someone deemed official by your chosen registry office (Standesamt), and these only remain valid for 6 months...and the date cannot be booked until the Standesamt have recieved and reviewed these docs!!!

Speak to the registrar at the Standesamt where you plan to marry to find out what docs they require - it varies depending on whether you have been married before or not. Usually its birth certificates, proof of address, proof that there is no legal impediment to you getting married, and a letter from the Hotel to say that you are effectively living there the week of the wedding. That then becomes proof of your residency in Austria... I contacted the Kitzbuhel registrar by email - handy tip, write what you want to write in English and then put it through Google's language tools and translate to German!! It doesn't always make sense but I think its polite to at least try and speak the local language!! Although he cannot book a date for me this far in advance, he as assured me that the date I want will be available and that I can go ahead and start booking things - hope he's right ;-)

As for a church wedding, I have no idea how to go about this but I do know that only civil ceremonies are legal/official in Austria and locals who are religious get married in the Standesamt, and then have a religious cermony afterwards...I don't know where you would stand as a foreigner getting married in a church.

If you get stuck for resorts and want a laid on wedding with the minimum of fuss, then a friend of a friend got married in Bad Gastein and looking on the web it looks great and there are a variety of tour operators to go through who can arrange everything...

Last but not least (sorry, I'm bored at work today so I'm running on!!) We're also doing a weekend reccy mission to Kitzbuhel in April to check out the hotels we've shortlisted and to see people about flowers and cakes, etc. I feel much happier knowing I'm going to do this in advance and because its out of season, its cheap. Check out Ryan Air for cheap flights to Salzburg and from there take a train to most of the major ski resorts in Austria...could be money well spent.

Hope this helps!

Lou x

ireland
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weddings in Austria

well lou, i am so jealous of your enthusiasm and your ability to plan. i could not organise a xxxx up in a brewery! i also have 2 children to keep me occupied 3 and 12 weeks. one day i am really into it but the next i want to forget the whole thing and get married here. only problem now is i have told everyone what we are doing and people are delighted and so is himself. i know that civil ceremony must be carried out to be legal. i also want the church bit for my parents. they are religious and it would make them happier but i dont actually mind because the churches all look really romantic. do i need to get on to registry office in zell am see first of all? like the idea of going over to visit first. you could sort out alot in a weekend. well all your tips are great so keep them coming and i will just copy. my second choice was kitzbuhel but loved the grand hotel in zell on their web site.