We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plan "Vienna - Zell Am See - Salzburg - Innsbruck - Munich"

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Plan "Vienna - Zell Am See - Salzburg - Innsbruck - Munich"

Hello

I am traveling with my family by car (rented car), and our trip will start from Vienna (3 nights), then, Zell Am See (6 nights), Salzburg (4 nights) , then Munich (4 nights) where we flight back home.

And after reading many topics in the internet, I would like to visit Swarovski crystal world (near Innsbruck) as my family like that so much. and I will cut 1 night from (Salzburg) to add it to Innsbruck, and by that we can visit Swarovski world on our way to Innsbruck, then heading to Munich next day passing through Garmisch!

So, Just I am wondering, Am I doing the right thing? or there is another plan better than this?

BTW: hotels reservations already done in Vienna, Zell Am See, and Munich, that is why I cannot change their order.

Summery:

Vienna 3 nights - Zell Am See 6 nights - Salzburg 3 nights - (Swarovski - Innsbruck 1 night - Garmisch) - Munich 4 nights.

Thanks!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,242 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plan "Vienna - Zell Am See - Salzburg - Innsbruck - Munich"

You could also visit the Swarovski Crystal World from Zell am See. This would be a nice day trip you could combine, for instance, with the Krimml Waterfalls and the Gerlos Road (www.gerlosstrasse.at). So I would not take one night off Salzburg (where you will supposedly do daytrips from?).

When traveling from Vienna to Zell am See I would preferably take a little detour via the beautiful Ennstal (valley)instead of the fastest way via Salzburg. For that, take expressway A2 out of Vienna until you reach Seebenstein Interchange where you need to change to expressway S6 [Semmering Expressway]. At Saint Michael Interchange change to expressway A9 [Phyrn Expressway]. Leave A9 in the area of Selzthal/Liezen and use local roads towards the West.

Edited: 20 May 2012, 05:14
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plan "Vienna - Zell Am See - Salzburg - Innsbruck - Munich"

Thanks alot for your reply

really appreciated!

I think I will do exactly as you advise me.

But just 1 query about the driving in these "mountainous" roads, Is it "easy" driving these roads or need an experience? I mean roads like: Gerlos Road, Grossglockner high alpin road, and roads around lakes in Salzkammergut. It is true that I have an experience for more than 10 years of driving, but not in mountains. Thats why asking about this issue!

Thanks

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plan "Vienna - Zell Am See - Salzburg - Innsbruck - Munich"

I mean with an auto transmission car!

Sorry for not mentioning that

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,242 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plan "Vienna - Zell Am See - Salzburg - Innsbruck - Munich"

I do not see a problem - you're gonna make it! When driving downhill it is important to (additionally) use the engine brake by using a low gear. I would only refrain from this undertaking if you traveled during winter. But the Grossglockner Road is even closed then.

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plan "Vienna - Zell Am See - Salzburg - Innsbruck - Munich"

Hi there and have done the itinerary many many times also have been to the crystal factory a couple of times with small groups I lead. I would stick with stopping at the factory on your way to Insbruck as its on the way and once done your only 30 minutes or so awy. I like your question about the automatic car in the mountain as its something I am confronted with often as we have a car rental company and many of our North American and other clients prefer automatic cars as thats what they know hoe to drive, and taking manual driving lescons in the Alps may not be the right time. Problem is that European cars are of course equipped with the same small engines be it manual or automatic, so a word of advice when you see your tachometer reving up close to the red zone going uphill in the D position, shift into D2 or even D1 it works both going up and down hills. Also do not expect to break any fuel economy records as again of the rent a car choices manual diesel, manual gas, and automatic gas its the automatic that gets the worst gas mileage. Its very rare to have automatic diesels in rent a car fleets here unless you go high end models, reason lets not forget after 6-18 months rent a car use the car manufacturer gets the car back and has to sell it. European buyers are not exactly lined up to buy small gas engined fuel guzzler automatic cars!!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plan "Vienna - Zell Am See - Salzburg - Innsbruck - Munich"

I have just seen bad weather in Zell am see , not the dates am arriving ...please let me know certain things I can do in bad weather in zell am see ..??

Thinking of going to innsbruck and visiting crystal world ....

what else can I do in bad weather ?

and Mikey you have mentioned to visit ennstal valley between vienna - salzburg ..can you suggest something to me as I will be travelling by train ..so stop in between any stop and see after depositing luggage ??

Edited: 21 May 2012, 07:37
Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plan "Vienna - Zell Am See - Salzburg - Innsbruck - Munich"

Vimmy do not panick if there is bad weather!! Each town in Austria from tiny to the largest city have great tourist offices with info on everything going and what to do in good or bad weather! In the mountains especialy weather chnges in minutes, so a hot sunny day can get cold and rainy in a couple of hours or vice versa..again you are not on a bike or hiking 7 day tour so dont worry.

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plan "Vienna - Zell Am See - Salzburg - Innsbruck - Munich"

really like all your replies

thanks all

It is really helping me too much!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,330 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plan "Vienna - Zell Am See - Salzburg - Innsbruck - Munich"

Interesting to know why 3 nights in Salzburg. There are various things people choose to do from Salzburg rather than in Salzburg inlcuding Berchtesgaden (Eagles Nest, Königssee) or Hallstatt.

Also on the way to Munich is the Herrenchiemsee on Lake Chiemsee

herren-chiemsee.de/deutsch/…index.htm

People often do this by public transport as a day trip from Munich or Salzburg (only 1hr from either).

If you choose not to go to Innsbruck (do Swarovski from Zell am See) as you have a car you can stop on your way from Salzburg to Munich

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
7 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plan "Vienna - Zell Am See - Salzburg - Innsbruck - Munich"

We have a max of 8 days and to visit Austria, we are likely to fly in and out of Munich.

We are thinking of renting a car for 4 of us from Munich Airport.

What are the MUST SEE places in Austria? And how many nights to you suggest in each place?