We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel query - Munich to Zell am See

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel query - Munich to Zell am See

Hi,

I've been looking at www.obb.at and www.bahn.com (as recommended to others on these forums) to try and work out my best option for a train from Munich to Zell am See next week. I've found a price of 78 Euros for a single ( for two people) but elsewhere I've seen mention of a 'Bayern' ticket and I was wondering whether this is a possible way to save money - but I'm not sure if that will work across the border or how to include it in the ticket price calculations on the websites above. Would anybody be able to advise?

thanks

Melly

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel query - Munich to Zell am See

The Bayern Ticket in your case is only valid untill Salzburg. From there you need either a standard ticket to Zell am See (41 EUR one way for both) or 32 Euros (still for both) with the Einfach-Raus-Ticket, with which you can only take regional trains:

oebb.at/en/…index.jsp (read carefully)

Add this 32 Euros to the Bayern Ticket, which is 26 Euros for both, and the result is 58 Euros instead of 78.

Regards

Ottavio N.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,690 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel query - Munich to Zell am See

As said above it is possible to make a saving by using the Bayern Ticket and Einfach Raus but as both are only valid on Regional trains you will have to check connections.

If you use http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml and tick the box "local transport" it will only show Regional connections. Just ignore the prices.

It can be done with 2 or 3 changes in 3h30 and ~ 4hrs with 1 change.

So not much difference if you took an EC or RAILJET from Munich to Zell am See which at quickest would be ~ 3h20

Don't forget that both the Bayern Ticket and Einfach Raus are only valid after 9am weekdays.

You can book the Einfach Raus online. If so don't forget to enter the date of travel. It is the same with the Bayern Ticket. Even when buying from a machine you have to enter the date of travel. You could for instance purchase the Bayern Ticket from a machine in Munich the day before you travel.

If enough time in Salzburg you could simply buy the Einfach Raus there on the day

ALTERNATIVE

There is an alternative option for the Salzburg-Zell am See leg.

SSV offer ticket options for all travel in Salzburgerland. They have an office at Salzburg station. They charge €14.50 single. You would be using EXACTLY the same OEBB trains.

OK only a saving of €3 over the Einfach Raus

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel query - Munich to Zell am See

Correct. I didn't think about the SSV option. Another 3 Euros saved :)

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel query - Munich to Zell am See

Thanks ever so much

Melly

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel query - Munich to Zell am See

I'm looking at the same journey , Munich Airport to Saalbach on a Saturday in January. Do you really need to travel via Salzburg? Is there any advantage booking train tickets early, and if you do, what happens if the flight over is delayed?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel query - Munich to Zell am See

Via Salzburg is not the quickest way to Zell am See - the last time I did this journey with the family it involved changes in Munich Ost, Rosenheim and Woergl. All on local trains, so a Bayern ticket bought from a machine at the airport is valid as far as the border (Kufstein), and an Einfach-Raus ticket from there, printed out in advance.

Look up the train times on bahn.de but select local trains only.

No advance booking as the tickets are valid all day.

7. Re: Train travel query - Munich to Zell am See

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 04:17