We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If visiting Austrian Alps only once - where would you go? :)

Pietarsaari, Finland
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
If visiting Austrian Alps only once - where would you go? :)

Hi, we are planning a trip to the Austrian Alps with my parents in law in September. What would be a nice and beautiful place to visit for a week? We don't want to cook anything so I suppose we should stay in a hotel. A pool nearby or on site would be a plus beacause we have small children that love playing in pools. My husband and I like mountain biking, and would like to rent mtbs.

Thanks in advance! :)

Kitzsteinhorn
Mountains, Ski & Snowboard Areas
Schmittenhohe
Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Ski & Snowboard Areas, Hiking Trails
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If visiting Austrian Alps only once - where would you go? :)

Look at the following places-

Achensee

www.achensee.at

the largest lake in the Tyrol.

Several villages with hotels in all categories. Some probablz have special discounts for fsmilies with kids./ pools.

A boat service connects villages bz the lake/ great for sightseeing / kids like them.

Local steam train to the Inn Vallez below.

Fine walking and hiking

nice day trips

Tratzberg Castle.

Seefeld

www.seefeld.at

nice scenery / easy hiking /

pool , lakes walks to see deer feeding.

Both of the above an easz trip to&from Innsbruck/ Alpine Yoo there fun for kids.

Gold mine tour bz Achway something different

mazrhofen

www.mayrhofen.at

good hotel selections pools, mountain walks , bikes / nice place/

For all places in September / ask about the special day / Almabtrieb/

the return of the cows from mountain pastures to their valley barns for the winter/ cows decorated / much music, food and drink, local handicrafts

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If visiting Austrian Alps only once - where would you go? :)

Seefeld. Lots of great hotels + restaurants and bars for lunch or an alternative dinner venue. Walk around the lake to feed squirrels and deer by hand. Lift and furnicular up the two mountains with several descent options from easy to hard. I believe a new play area near the Rossehutte station? Check it out. Cycle trails plentiful.Nice outing would be to get the bus to the Wildmoos (10 mins?). The kids could have a lovely time running around the plateau and then lunch.

Public pool in the centre of town. Train to Mittenwald where you can walk the gorge

seefeld.com/pdf/…geisterklamm_engl.pdf

Train to Garmisch Partenkirchen with a lovely park. 20 mins train to Innsbruck - not that it would hold the interest of the kinder.

Another advantage is that the transfer time from Innsbruck airport is less than half an hour - tho maybe you would drive?

Pietarsaari, Finland
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If visiting Austrian Alps only once - where would you go? :)

"Vertical" and "Nildesperanda" thank you very much for your answers!! :) The places you mention sounds very interesting! I'd like to stay in Austria for several weeks! ;)

It is good to have something to start planning from...

4. Re: If visiting Austrian Alps only once - where would you go? :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 05:16