We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austrian Folk Traditions

Boston...
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Topic
Austrian Folk Traditions

I really don't want to be that tourist, but I am interested in seeing some of the cliché alpine folk traditions while traveling, such as: schuhplattler, oompah playing bands, yodeling, alphorn, traditional dress and volkmusik. This trip is next July (2014) and I will be in and around Salzburg / Salzkammergut / Berchtesgaden / Grossglockner area for a about a week. Where could one possible see these cultural events?

...or am I thinking more Switzerland and Bavarian culture? Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,223 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austrian Folk Traditions

lots of tourist villages have weekly schuhplatter evenings. oompah bands seem to come out for every civil occasion including weddings. you may or may not be lucky to be present for such an event. fire brigades usually provide the music, and every Friday in st gilgen, they have a concert in the park, so if in the area.....

yodelling may be in a schuhplatter evening. alpenhorns are more swiss. traditional dress is quite common on sundays and weddings. folk music...often in various restaurants as a feature. just look out for the posters.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Austrian Folk Traditions

I can highly recommend the Laimmeralm just outside Strobl between St Gilgen and Bad Ischl. Here is a link to their website as I recommend you book. They only do a few events per year and the best thing is to book for the brunch or Fruhschoppen. http://www.laimeralm.at/approach.html

If you don't have a car the 150 bus from Salzburg stops in Strobl and if you ask I'm pretty sure they run a minibus service up to the alm. They speak good English.

You will get an idea of what is on offer on utube. There are links on the website

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austrian Folk Traditions

Hi Mike,

There will be choices in the area that you are visiting. In Berchtesgaden, there is a Bavarian evening at the Hofbrauhaus every Saturday during the warmer weather. These are very popular and I suggest getting there early.

Many of the local inns and hotels host their own "Heimatabend" during the week and on weekends. You can find these by looking at the travel magazines in your hotel (look for the word "Heimatabend) or by looking at the Kur and Kongresshaus in downtown B'gaden, or by asking at your hotel/inn. The tourist office is in the Kur and Kongresshaus and you can get a lot of great info from the English speaking staff here. There are also traditional and classical offerings outside at the Kur and Kongresshaus which is right in the center of B'gaden just by the underground parking lot . there's a large bulletin board inside the tuorist office and all of the events are posted there as well. You are more likely to find these in the smaller towns outside of Salzburg but there may be something in the city itself.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Austrian Folk Traditions

Schuplattler is Bavarian, Alphorn is Swiss and you will not see it in Austria. Jodeling is Austrian but you will have to look for an event and same is with oompah bands.

Boston...
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Austrian Folk Traditions

Thanks Emily, I will definitely look into the Hofbrauhaus in Berchtesgaden. That sounds like a great evening. Since Berchtesgaden is Bavaria, I would assume schuplatter would be seen there, no? As for alphorns, I have seen dozens of photos tagged in Austria of people with alphorns...is that wrong? Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,223 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Austrian Folk Traditions

laOwei. schuhplatterl is of course also Austrian. I have been to many such evenings in my 50 years of travelling there.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 08:00
Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Austrian Folk Traditions

We have seen the alpine horns being played at the Hofbrauhaus in B'gaden and in the outdoor concert area at the Kur and Kongresshaus in B'gaden. Most of the "Heimatabends feature the traditional music, maybe a zither player, schuplatter and other less well known Bavarian dances. Each show is different but they are a chance for the local young people to pass along the traditional dances of the area.........they are always great fun. This is one of the best ways to meet the local people as you usually will be given seats at large tables.

There are many small towns in the area, some Austrian and some German as the border passes through this general area. Each of these towns generally has an inn that features a Heimatabend at least weekly so you may have a choice of where to go. There are also some outdoor shows next to the visitor center in the Konigssee next to the parking area. There are also local restaurants that will feature traditional music, maybe a zither player and a small group. Best way to see what your choices are is to ask your hotel/innkeeper or at the visitor centers in the towns. At this point, not a lot of this stuff is posted online so don't even try this.

malta
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Austrian Folk Traditions

we are also travelling to this area although in Easter 2014 - can we still see Austrian traditions, music, culture etc as mentioned in the forum - do you think these are available in Easter - we shall be staying around the Linz, Salzburg area. Any suggestions please. thanks

9. Re: Austrian Folk Traditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2013, 12:57
Boston...
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Austrian Folk Traditions

Thanks, all. These are great suggestions. I will google Heimatabend as my trip nears next summer and see if any event coincides with my dates.