We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Classic Onion Dome (Zwiebelturm)

Boston...
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Topic
Classic Onion Dome (Zwiebelturm)

Any suggestions on where to find churches or buildings with the classic onion dome on top with a great background for a photo? I will be traveling in Salzburg / Salzkammergut / Berchtesgaden area for about a week. I have the church in Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden, the view over St. Gilgen on the Wolfgangsee, and the skyline of Salzburg on my list, but would like to know of any hidden gems in the area. Thanks!

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Classic Onion Dome (Zwiebelturm)

St. Bartholomew on Konigssee Lake, Maria Gern in Berchtesgaden just to name a couple....

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,059 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Classic Onion Dome (Zwiebelturm)

there are quite a lot of these around. just keep your eyes open.

just as an aside, many of these churches have a little golden ball at the top. many years ago it was explained to me that the town plans were placed in these balls, so that in event of an avalanche engulfing a village, the plans would be in the highest point and if the spire was not covered, it would allow any rescuers to see the layout of the affected village and help in locating houses etc. never quite sure if this was 100% correct, but a nice story. if it was fact, do they still continue with the tradition?

3. Re: Classic Onion Dome (Zwiebelturm)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:17