We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Vienna to Lake Como ... most beautful route/sta

San Diego, CA
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Vienna to Lake Como ... most beautful route/sta

I'm on holiday and driving from Vienna to Lake Como, then Milan. Any suggestions for the drive and where to stay? We have several days to drive through the area and see sites. The Dolomites seems beautiful, Cortina d'Aampezzo. Any suggestions would so appreciated. Must stay, must see, must drive are what I'm looking for. Thanks so much. Planning on staying in Salzburg after Vienna, but open to anything else.

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,304 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Vienna to Lake Como ... most beautful route/sta

If you are driving now most scenic mountain roads in Austria are closed due to winter. I would drive through Wachau on way to Salzburg (Krems to Melk). Around Salzburg Salzkammergut area is beautiful if you have time. From Salzburg to Innsbruck and then through one of the mountain passes to Italy.

San Diego, CA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Vienna to Lake Como ... most beautful route/sta

I'm actually not going until May 7th. Will the roads be open at that time?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,916 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Vienna to Lake Como ... most beautful route/sta

Salzburger67 supposedly refers to the Großglockner High Alpine Road (www.grossglockner.at) which usually opens at the beginning of May (> see website). I would also go through the Wachau, then Salzkammergut before entering the City of Salzburg.

After Salzburg you have two choices, you can either go South and proceed to Italy (e.g. Cortina) via Lienz or keep a Westerly course towards Innsbruck and then continue southwards to Italy.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Vienna to Lake Como ... most beautful route/sta

Hi samer47,

If the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse is open, I'd drive it and possibly stay in Heiligenblut, at the southern terminus of this road, for a night. Cute village, dramatic scenery. We stayed at the Pension Ederhof and loved our stay here.

http://www.ederhof-heiligenblut.at/main.html

Then continue into the Dolomites via Dobbiaco/Toblach, Cortina d'Ampezzo and about an hour west into the Alta Badia, which in my opinion has some of the best, "quintessential" Dolomite scenery. Right after leaving Cortina, if you have some time, drive the Giau Pass and then into the Alta Badia. The drive up isn't all that, but once you near the "top", it is!

I'd stay in the Alta Badia for a night or two. We loved our 2 stays at the Ciara Montanara in La Villa, Alta Badia.

www.montanara.it

If you're into terrific drives, there's a number of passes that are very easy based here. The Gardena (probably our favorite), the Sella, Campolongo and Pordoi Passes. In fact, with a day here, this is our own "Best of the Dolomites Drive" in an easy 1/2 day or day trip, depending on how much you feel like stopping along the way.

It can be started/ended from any point really, but I'll use La Villa, Alta Badia as the starting point:

Head to Coravara/Colfosco and over the Campolongo Pass to Arabba. From Arabba take the Pordoi Pass towards Canazei. Before you get to Canazei, take the Sella Pass (or stop in Canazei and go back a bit to continue). Take the Sella Pass and at the end, get right on the Gardena Pass (they branch off one another) towards Colfosco, Alta Badia and back to La Villa. There's a cafe/restaurant/rest stop at the "top" of the Gardena, Sella and Pordoi Passes. You'll also notice a few small places to park along the passes to get out and walk among the Dolomite peaks.

For some info and photo's of the passes, check out:

www.alpineroads.com/dolomites.php

Some are listed under the German and or Italian name:

Gardena Pass - Grödnerjoch

Sella Pass - Sellajoch

Pordoi Pass - Passo di Pordoi

Campolongo Pass - Passo di Campolongo

If you're asking for "must sees" and "must drives", the Dolomites have both. They are like nothing else in the alps.

We have some photo's at:

worldisround.com/articles/324599/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/355539/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/324504/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/351565/index.html

After a stay in the Dolomites, head over the Gardena Pass, through the Val Gardena to the A22 and head to Milan.

You could also take this route:

Gardena Pass, Sella Pass, Canazei, Vigo di Fassa, past Lake Carezza and through the Val d'Ega/Eggental to Bolazno and the A22 to Trento, Brescia and Milan.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Vienna to Lake Como ... most beautful route/sta

Note that the quickest connection from Vienna to Como already takes almost 9 hours, so a full day.

Salzburg is a good option as it is on this quickest road.

Dolomites, although spectacular - is not on this quickest road and will take a lot of extra hours. (through the mountains...)

My suggestion would be to stay in North (Austrian) Tirol, along the road Salzburg - Innsbruck - Vaduz (Liechtenstein), and from there head south towards Lake Como

Lovely scenery as well, with many picturesque villages, and the highest mountains.

Also note that on Lake Como it is best to stay in the villages of Bellagio or Varenna (midlake) and not in the city of Como (south-lake). Midlake has the best views,

San Diego, CA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Vienna to Lake Como ... most beautful route/sta

Do you think the drive through the Dolomites is worth it compared to taking the quicker route? I probably won't do the same type of trip again. But I also don't want to spend lots of time if it really isn't worth. Thank you for your time and feedback.

San Diego, CA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Vienna to Lake Como ... most beautful route/sta

Thanks so much. I made a quick map : http://binged.it/1gOSzpO

Can you let me know which passes routes I can skip if any? Thanks so much I really appreciate your time. If we spent two days going from Vienna to Lake Como/Milan wanted to take the route with the most beauty but also a little efficient. Again i really appreciate your time and help.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Vienna to Lake Como ... most beautful route/sta

Hi,

I didn't realize you only have 2 days to go from Vienna to Lake Como. I did look at your map and I would make a couple of changes to it.

From Cortina d'Ampezzo, skip driving the Giau Pass (Selva di Cador/Andraz) and go directly west. Also, skip dropping down to drive the Pordoi Pass and Campolongo Pass.

I'd drive:

Cortina to the A22 this way: Cortina d'Ampezzo directly to San Cassiano, La Villa, Corvara/Colfosco, the Gardena Pass, Selva, Ortisei to the A22. I think the Dolomites are worth seeing, no question. Even this shorter route with less passes is an incredible drive. The scenery is amazing.

Paul

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Vienna to Lake Como ... most beautful route/sta

Spreading the drive over two days, while including the detour through the Dolomites (with the advantage of seeing these) comes at a cost: You will spend two almost full days of driving, with very limited time to really enjoy it, apart from seeing the landscape while driving. The detour through the Dolomites will take another 3 hours at least.

Do also take into consideration that driving through the Alps, on B-ways instead of highways is rather tiresome. Lots of curves, and often no possibility to take over the slow truck in front of you.

I would prefer to drive straight to Lake Como (where the mountains are very scenic and high as well) and enjoy 1 full extra day relaxing or really experiencing the surroundings. Or spend the night in Salzburg, which is lovely.

I'm asuming your schedule is already quiet full anyway? ;-)

Edited: 30 March 2014, 20:04
10. Re: Driving from Vienna to Lake Como ... most beautful route/sta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 05:16