We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Klagenfrut to Grossglockner and back

Which Klagenfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
india
Level Contributor
96 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Klagenfrut to Grossglockner and back

We are a senior couple, in Jun, plan arr at Vienna apt, the train to Klagenfrut, 4 nights, mainly to enjoy the Alpine scenic road, so well written about , at Glossglockner. Stay 4 nts is purely to cater for an odd day when weather up there maybe bad, a day spare would help..thereafter we head to Plitvick.

How do we goto Grlossglockner & back, ?

Q1. What is the route to the summit from KLGN ?

Q2. are there bus connections frequent both ways?

Q4. Would you recommend hiring a taxi, what would it charge for the day trip, how, whom to contact.?

Thanks

sb

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,868 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Klagenfrut to Grossglockner and back

In Central and Northern Europe it is not common to hire a taxi for such a trip. There used to be a public bus service going up to Franz-Joefs-Höhe from the Southern side/end of the road (via Heiligenblut) but I have no idea whether it runs this year. Ideally, write them an e-mail ( info@grossglockner.at ) and ask whether they know something. From the Northern side it is possible to go with a tour bus operator, the "Glocknerbus" (grossglockner.at/static/cms/grossglockner/pd…), whose basis is in Zell am See. Zell am See (www.zellamsee-kaprun.com) by the way is a nice place too!

Edited: 22 April 2014, 20:08
india
Level Contributor
96 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Klagenfrut to Grossglockner and back

Thanks,

will get to work now

sb

india
Level Contributor
96 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Klagenfrut to Grossglockner and back

I did go thru the very informative site, indeed, added more local attractions from the site.

I find that there is ONE Way trip also possible on the bus from from Zell to Heiligenblut, thereafter one could plan to transfer to the other side and go onto Klagenfurt ??any suggestions ,, sorry for the push..sb

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,868 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Klagenfrut to Grossglockner and back

Where did you find the info that that you can go all the way to Heiligenblut from Zell am See?

india
Level Contributor
96 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Klagenfrut to Grossglockner and back

Your are correct, I saw the bus schedule,North to South, its from Zell to Franz and then turns back, I was looking at some transfer point whilst up there; so that we could carry on to Klagenfurt, somehow..

Bus sched

HINTERGLEMM 8.30

SAALBACH 8.40

ZELL AM SEE 9.00

SCHÜTTDORF 9.10

KAPRUN (ZUBRINGER) 9.00

BRUCK 9.15

FUSCH 9.30

FERLEITEN 9.35

HOCHMAIS ca. 9.50 – 10.05

HAUS ALPINE NATURSCHAU ca. 10.15 – 11.00

KAISER FRANZ JOSEFS HÖHE ca. 12.00 – 14.00

RÜCKFAHRT – ANKUNFT HINTERGLEMM CA. 17 UHR

6. Re: Klagenfrut to Grossglockner and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2016, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Klagenfurt