We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SVV Question

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
46 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
SVV Question

My partner and I will be travelling to Maria Alm in April and would like to get around the region by train while we are there. The SVV offers a variety of passes, but I didn't see actual prices listed. If I buy a day pass in Maria Alm, is that good for travel to Salzburg and back? Is there a zone system? What is the difference in price between a day pass and a weekly pass? Is a pass good for one person, or can more than one travel on one pass? Thanks in advance for your help!

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SVV Question

I had a search for the journey from Maria Alm / Ortsmitte to Salzburg Hanuschplatz (more or less the centre of the city) using this journey planner:

http://efa.svv-info.at/svv/index_en.htm

The Maria Alm you want is Maria Alm/Stein.Meer

It comes back with a selection of routes. If you include trains, it costs 15,80 euros one way. If you travel only by bus, it costs 12 euros. That's for travel through 12 zones. If you click "more" next to the price of the journey you want, it gives you the price of a range of tickets. A day card (Tageskarte) using just the bus is 24.00. A Wochenkarte (weekly ticket) for buses only is 41.70. If you include trains, the Tageskarte is 31,40 and the Wochenkarte is 50,90.

I'm not sure if the Tageskarte or Wochenkarte will include other journeys around Salzburg city (the Kernzone) during your visit. You might need to pay extra on top of these prices to get a daily or weekly kernzone ticket. This is called a Kernzone Zuschlag and you buy it at the same time as you buy your daily ticket (I don't think you can get it with the Wochenkarte).

The daily Kerzone Zuschlag for an adult is EUR1,80, but if you buy that you don't pay the 1eur zuschlag on the above Tageskarte prices for the journey through the Kernzone (so travelling entirely by bus, instead of paying 22 eur + 1 eur +1 eur for a return trip from MA to the centre of Salzburg and back again, you pay 22 eur + 1.80 which gives you the 12-zone ride to and from MA and a daily pass to use the buses in Salzburg city).

I suspect this explanation has merely increased your confusion! But I hope it gives you some idea of the prices involved.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SVV Question

And here is the Zone map - a massive PDF

svv-info.at/fileadmin/docs/Tarifinformatione…

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
46 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SVV Question

Thank you for your help! It really does clear things up quite a bit.

4. Re: SVV Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 10:23