We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions for our short stay in Salzburg

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
698 posts
Save Topic
questions for our short stay in Salzburg

Hi everyone,

Our family of 4 (kids are 22 and 18) will be traveling to Salzburg for 2 nights after a 3 night stay in Munich. We will likely catch the 3:42 train on a Saturday in early July. Will there still be anything to see when we get to Salzburg in the late afternoon / early evening? I assume we’ll check into our hotel (the Salzburg Sheraton), walk around and see as much of the town as we can, and have dinner (recommendations for a Saturday night?).

Also, we are torn what to do the following day (Sunday). We would like to tour around Salzburg and see the places where Mozart lived, Mirabell Gardens, and other Salzburg sights, but we are also interested in either a day trip to Herrenchiemsee or Berchtesgaden / Eagle’s Nest. We do not plan to see castles while in Munich so Herrenchiemsee might be good. However, I understand Berchtesgaden is beautiful too.

We cannot leave Munich earlier on Saturday to see Herrenchiemsee on the way to Salzburg because my husband has to work from Munich that day until 3 p.m.

We leave Salzburg Monday morning for Switzerland via train.

Thanks for your help!

Carole

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: questions for our short stay in Salzburg

Personally if it was me and I had not been to Salzburg before. I would stay in Salzburg on the Sunday.

If you want views you could visit the Untersburg.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g190441-…

You could do that and wander around the gardens and old town. Salzburg is lot quieter on a Sunday. It's my favourite day of the week for wandering around parks and looking at the buildings.

It's hard to mention any restaurants for the Saturday as you have not said what you like to eat. The area around your Hotel is packed with places to eat. I would recommend looking at the restaurant reviews on Trip advisor. It would be a good idea to reserve a table for the Saturday night.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
698 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: questions for our short stay in Salzburg

Thank you, staff025. I think it does make more sense to just stay in town. My husband is interested in seeing Eagle's Nest, however.

I will start researching restaurants in the area. We always like to experience local food places.

Carole

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions for our short stay in Salzburg

How about the oldest cellar in Salzburg.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190441-…

Or

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190441-…

Make sure you book a table.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
99 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions for our short stay in Salzburg

We've stayed at the Sheraton twice. You are a few steps from the entrance to Mirabell Gardens. Strolling through them in the evening on your way to/from dinner in the Old Town is wonderfully beautiful and peaceful (most tourists are gone). We love just wandering into the Old Town area and looking for a restaurant with outdoor seating that looks good...we've always had good luck! As for Eagles Nest, we've been twice and it's historic and beautiful scenery, but with your limited time and the fact that you will get lots of beautiful mountain scenery in Switzerland, I'd skip it.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
698 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: questions for our short stay in Salzburg

Looks like we will be be staying in Salzburg then, for sure.

Also, we have changed our hotel reservation to the Goldener Hirsch just to be really central for our brief visit.

Staff025... We will definitely check out the oldest cellar!

Thanks, everyone!

Edited: 18 May 2013, 15:59
6. Re: questions for our short stay in Salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 06:17