We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beginners skiing information

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
beginners skiing information

Hi,

I want to take my two children (13 & 16) skiing immediately after christmas. My youngest had her confidence knocked by going to a totally inappropriate resort for beginners last year (Champoluc if you're interested). One brochure refers to a "green" circuit at Obertauern although there don't seem to be any actual green runs. Is it true that some (how many approx?) of the blue runs have "wonderful open slopes to give the beginner and 2nd time skier confidence"? That sounds perfect but I want to be sure.

Also, does anyone have any historical info regarding the snow record at this time of year (27 Dec to 3 Jan)? I nearly cried when we arrived in Champoluc at easter earlier this year to be greeted with green fields and not a snowflake in sight in the village. Snow up the mountain obviously, but not great!

Finally, if you have any other suggestions for a great beginners ski holiday at this time of year, please feel free to let me know! Europe please.

Thanks very much in advance.

E-L.

scotland
Level Contributor
206 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beginners skiing information

Hi

I have also chatted to you on the Petersbuehel hotel question which you may like to look at.

Obertauern appears snowsure. You can probably try some ski websites to get some historical snow info, try googling. Try www.obertauern.com or www.obertauern.at for some good info.

Obertauern sits at the bottom of a bowl and all the runs go around it. Most of the hotels are ski in/out or very close to it. Pick a ski school near your hotel.

When I went 2 years ago I had not skiied for 18 years. I found it a very good place to build up my confidence although I am still not very confident and like nice wide easy quiet runs. I don't remember the runs being too busy. I think beginners and intermediates would be fine here. There may not be too many very difficult runs for experts.

2 years ago many places did not accept credit cards -ski school Fraue Holle, Hotel Petersbuehel and some restaurants.

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beginners skiing information

Thanks for your replies and the info. So LOTS of genuinely easy runs? i.e. the blues don't have a nasty tricky red bit in the middle? Also, would you happen to remember where the so-called green circuit is so that I can look for hotels near there?

Thanks.

scotland
Level Contributor
206 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beginners skiing information

I tended to stick to the easy runs, the ski instructor showed me, which were near the Petersbuehel hotel and Edelweiss Hotel end of town. I am sure I would only have been on the green ones. I remember a run called the Edelweiss as being particularly good and it was opened 2 nights during the week for night skiing. I did not do any skiing at the other end of town but my family did and enjoyed it. I have now booked to go back to the Petersbuehel today in February. I am a very cautious skiier although the rest of my family are gaining confidence fast. There is a skihire shop called Intersport next to the hotel Edelweiss. The roads were covered in snow when we were there so you could ski along quiet ones as there were not many cars.

The best thing my family and I have done the last 2 years was to book into lessons. I was concerned about us being split up but it worked fine and we met at lunchtime or after lessons and showed each other what we had learned. I would definitely have held my kids back if I'd been with them. You can book them for 3 days and then add on as required. As I was so worried in Obertauern I went for private lessons but last year at Hochgurgl I joined in a group. I will hopefully do group lessons this year.

Obertauern ticked all the boxes for us and we enjoyed it. When we first went a ski travel agent recommended it. This year and last year we have booked it ourselves and saved a considerable amount of money.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beginners skiing information

Obertauern was voted the most favored ski resort in Austria by a poll conducted by the " News " the most widely circulated magazine here. Also highly rated by other ski services.

For good reasons

Due to its high altitude - it can have good snow and skiing when other lower places suffer.

It is known for excelent snow conditions early in the ski season - This year they look to open November 21. Many places will not open until mid December.

I have often gone there in early January for a short vacation- even 2 years ago when many austrian resorts suffered from a lack of good snow early in the season, Obertauern had good snow conditions.

Good advice above - join a ski school - many in town one should be near your hotel. Numerous english speaking instuctors too. They provide good instruction and also take you on runs that the class can ski without great fear- a great way to learn the mountains. Also a good way to meet follow visitors - great for kids too .

Do not worry about the " Green " runs - this is just a route to completely go around the resort by lift and ski runs.

It is not a regular category of ski piste - they are blue - red - black easy - medium -expert - enough blue easy runs to keep you busy they are well marked , relatively wide and prepared at night by the workers in "pisten bullies "to provide an optimum surface for the next day.

The town itself is relatively compact easy to go most everywhere.

A great place for skiers in my opinion.

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beginners skiing information

Thank you both for your messages. I don't know what to do! I've just received a message from someone that includes "most of the blue runs were the type that wind down the mountain, rather than the wide open slopes". Did she just not find the wide ones (although she seems to have skiied it all)??

They may all be moot points anyway because I seem to be having trouble finding availability for our dates. Any comments on the only available space at the Schutz hotel? Someone has commented on the very aggressive management & row over the bill.

scotland
Level Contributor
206 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beginners skiing information

I think the Schutz was at the other end of the village to where I was staying - on the LHS of map and so I do not know that ski area. I read some of the reviews and the other hotels I have mentioned were further up my list so I did not pursue this hotel.

As I mentioned on another question, Hochgurgl was a good place for beginner skiers-especially Hotel Riml which at the bottom of the beginners slope and at the ski school meeting point.

scotland
Level Contributor
206 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beginners skiing information

I also looked at Cervinia in Italy and the hotel Excelsior Planet or Europa both of which seemed well placed for access to the slopes. I thought the reviews were favourable for this ski resort too. Quite a few forum replies supported this.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beginners skiing information

For anyone thinking of Obertauern- perhaps a look to the following website- that offers info on many ski resorts reading the non biased commentary about the resort and viewing the video of the town with actual footage of skiing on varios pistes in the mountains allow one to make better judgments.

Much better than any personal messages.

www.bergfex.com

to austria -hen salzburg -then to obertauern

this site good for Obertauern and also many resorts in Austria for those seeking information.

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beginners skiing information

Thank you all for your replies, really kind of you to take the time.

As mentioned above, after all my research I then found I couldn't actually get any decent flights.

We're now off to Alpe d'Huez in France. Booked the flights and then very nearly didn't get any accommodation!

Sounds like France might break the bank - c'est la vie je suppose.

10. Re: beginners skiing information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Obertauern