We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg trip report

USA
Level Contributor
374 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Salzburg trip report

Sorry for the delay. We were there in mid-March and I am finally getting around to write this.

Flight - We always fly Lufhansa when traveling to central/eastern Europe. They are the best !!!! Great service on the airplane, timely, and no luggage problems.

Hotel - We stayed at the Hotel Weisse Taube. Excellent choice. Friendly staff, good location, nice clean room. See our review in the hotel section.

Weather - My God !!! It was like late spring.....comfortably warm. We didn't need jackets or sweaters during the day. Only at night or early morning. Got to eat and drink outside every day. Flowers blooming in Mirabell gardens.

Salzburg - Just beautiful. Strolling around the Getreidegasse and the surrounding area was great. We purchased the Salzburg card and found it to be a good investment, especially if you want to see the sights. Strolling the Linzergasse was and stopping in the ouside cafes was great.

Mozart Houses - The Geburtshaus was ok...not really a lot to see. The residence house was much better. Both free of charge with the Salzburg card.

Salzburg Fortress - Stunning views and a very interesting tour. Nice cafe to have a drink or something to eat while enjoying the view. A must see. Free with the Salzburg card.

Wax Museum - Worth seeing if you have the Salzburg card...once again free.

Modern Art Museum/Fortress - Once again stunning views of Salzburg and a nice cafe to enjoy the views. Fre with the Salzburg card

Day trip to Berchtesgaden. - Defintely worth it. A short 20 minute bus ride. The Eagles nest was not open in March but the town was worth seeing. Beautiful little Alpine/Bavarian village.

Favorite places to eat - Den Wilden Mann restaraunt - just off the Getreidegasse. You can spot it looking down one of the alleys toward the river. Has a large lantern. The Sausage vendors in the market and the pretzel vendors as well.

Mozart Dinner. Excellent !!!!! Great Music and song . We both had the breast of Capon and it was very good. Nice friednly people at our table. We were seated specifically with English speaking customers. great Venue !!

In all, we loved the City.

Been to Vienna and Salzburg....Should we try Innsbruck next ?

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salzburg trip report

Glad to hear you had such a great time in Salzburg! The weather was really warm this spring so you had good luck with that - and Salzburg is lovely in fine weather. It sounds like you managed to see a good many things while you were there. I'm glad the Weisse Taube suited you - I found them very helpful too and the location is quiet but still central.

Don't know if you'd care for Innsbruck - IMO it lacks the amenities of Vienna and the old-world charm of Salzburg. It's probably nice in the depths of winter but the rest of the time rather dull. I prefer Graz as a city, though there's less in the immediate environs for daytrips (apart from Piber and the Lipizzaner of course!) But if you were able to come in the summer, I would vote for the Salzkammergut - St Wolfgang, Bad Ischl, Hallstatt and the rest. Very beautiful, lots to see and do, and very easy to get about on public transport.

rol

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salzburg trip report

Thanks for the report! We will be there in 3 weeks with our base at St Gilgen. I hope we do well with public transportation- I hate driving in foreign countries!

Washington state
Level Contributor
685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salzburg trip report

Thanks for the report. It's always nice to get the latest "inside scoop" on a place. We'll be in Salzburg the first week of July.

USA
Level Contributor
374 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salzburg trip report

Thanks for the tip on Innsbruck Roley. Perhaps we will just return to Salzburg next year for the first stop on our traditional March Europe trip. We are planning to return to Vienna in November and then on to Prague. Always need to include a German speaking city.....I am still taking German classes and am slowly improving. Did very well in the Hotels, restaraunts, pubs, and train stations this year.

Robert

USA
Level Contributor
374 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salzburg trip report

PJ - If you are going to spend some time there and want to see all the sites we saw, I strongly suggest the Salzburg Card.

6. Re: Salzburg trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 20:18