We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich to Salzburg

Moe
Level Contributor
138 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Munich to Salzburg

My husband and I plan on visiting Munich (1-21 to 1-25) then on to Salzburg. We would like to travel by train. We will be in Salzburg 1-25 to 1-29 then back to Munich to fly home.

Any thought on the rail system?

Thoughts on the Zum Hirschen Hotel (jr. suite).

I've also read about a restaurant that is not in the city. Transportation is provided by a snowcat. Dinners are outstanding. Entertainment is provided in the game room with some sort of game of pounding nails into a log(?). Transportation back to the city is by sledding down the hill in the snowcat tracks which takes about 30 minutes because of occasional stops for snowball fights.

Anyone knoe the name of this place? It's location?

Chicago
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich to Salzburg

If you've taken Amtrak, you won't recognize the European train system. Usually very clean, very efficient (spelt timely) and quick. Train is excellent alternative to the drive.

There's the Best Western Zum Hirschen and the Goldener Hirsch. Never stayed at the previous, the later is wonderful.

The Goldener Hirsch is right in the middle of things, excellent hotel and supurb restaurant.

The restaurant you are talking about is one of two places. There's one on top of a mountain, I don't recall the name. Heard very mixed reviews. I think you may be referring to Hotel Kobenzl. It is on the Gaisberg. Very close to the main area. They offer what you describe. An excellent choice. and you'll enjoy the sled. My wife and I have been there in suit and furs, and have been there, well, lets say somewhat more downscale. We received a warm welcome both times. Though generally, the Austrian tend to be a little more dressy at better restaurants.

Have fun, and post a report on the sled ride and dinner.

England, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich to Salzburg

Hi

I`ve just come back from Salzburg and flew via Munich. There are trains almost on an hourly basis with the journey taking about 1.5 hours.

You can travel from Munich via either the Ostbanhof or the main station (Hauptbanhoff)

Book via the internet and it`s about 50 Euros return for two people. If you book via phone the price shoots up to about 120 Euros for two

The best website for train times and prices is Bahn.De , click on Intl Guests at the top of the the page. This will then direct you to an English language site.

http://www.bahn.de/-S:4OBx49:dqS@oNNNbCyGhdNNNWhM/pv/view/int_guest/subhome/international_guests.shtml

Moe
Level Contributor
138 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich to Salzburg

Hi Snuggs and Bensondog,

Just wanted to thank you both for your help. I'm checking into the Goldener Hirsch.

The rail system info is just what we needed.

Thanks again and have a happy New Year!! maybe we'll stay longer in Austria....

london
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich to Salzburg

Following on from this thread - does anyone know how long roughly it take to drive from Munich to Salburg?

Naxxar
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich to Salzburg

Dear Sir / Madam,

Is it true that train might not travel due to bad weather conditions?

I'll be travelling in March..

vienna
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich to Salzburg

This assertion is not correct. Very little chance of this happening escpecially in the period mentioned.

This line is not particular high or in an area known to receive excessive snow at any time of the year.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich to Salzburg

As the poster above says, there will be no problem. This is a very busy, main line on level ground.

A car journey would be much more likely to be affected by bad weather but in March this would be unlikely too.

Naxxar
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich to Salzburg

Whilst thanking you both 'Liz and Beppo' for your immediate reply kindly confirm whether it would be best to purchase tickets taking us from Salzburg to Munich before hand or on the same day. Also please confirm whether there will be a difference in price if we purchase them on the same day.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,846 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Munich to Salzburg

It absolutely doesn't matter when you purchase your tickets. Just know that, if you buy a avaria-Ticket and not a nomal point-to-point ticket, it will cost 2 € more at the counter than from te ticket machine.

London
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Munich to Salzburg

Hi there

I too am planning to travel by train from Salzburg to Munich in March, and am hoping all will be well..!

I arrive in Salzburg two days before I am due in Munich, and am wondering if my two evenings are best spent in Salzburg or if there are any other places on the way that are worth stopping at. I would love to see some beautiful scenery but will be on my own so dont want anything too remote / would like there to be a bit of life around... i am also on a bit of a budget....!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks